Mantus Anchor Swivel

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
lsheaf
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Stardust
Boat Type: Allied Seawind 30

Mantus Anchor Swivel

Post by lsheaf »

Does anyone use a Mantus anchor swivel or equivalent?
I’ve never had a problem with my chain/rode twisting up while at anchor but also haven’t been anchored in one location for more than a few days.

Is it necessary for anchoring long term where the boat could be moving around the anchor a lot?

Logan
CapnK
Site Admin

Re: Mantus Anchor Swivel

Post by CapnK »

I've a swivel on my 45# "Oh Sh*t!" Spade anchor that I use for hurricanes, and haven't had any issues with it, and teh boat swung a goodly bit, including 180.
Not sure of the brand, but I'd recommend you use some TefGel, lanolin, or similar on it when attaching, or it won't want to come back off. :)
Kurt and Barque, the CrewDog.
Sundance, '71 A-30, #429
Katie Marie, Ariel #422
Melelani, Islander 36 (shoal)

sailFar.net - Small boats, Long distances...
lsheaf
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Stardust
Boat Type: Allied Seawind 30

Post by lsheaf »

Thanks for the reply,

When you suggest the tefGel, are you recommending applying it to the shackle pin threads or the main swivel head that holds everything together? I haven’t had too many problems with stainless shackles, mostly just steel shackles after a few months of use.
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by atomvoyager »

He's probably talking about galvanized shackles that can corrode and be difficult to remove after awhile. In general galvanized shackles are potentially stronger than equivalent stainless shackles and less chance of breaking due to poor casting or stainless corrosion when underwater. I had a stainless shackle break on me but never broke a galvanized shackle. Had plenty corrode shut that didn't have an anti-seize like lanacote on them and cut them off years later. They also need the pins secured with seizing wire.

I always use a swivel on the primary anchor rode because when living aboard on the hook the chain does tend to twist over time, making retrieval with the windlass difficult. I've used old style galvanized swivels but if I have narrow clearance at the bow roller I use the more streamlined Mantus and similar stainless swivels.