Bristol 29.9 CB

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
svbreeze
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Breeze
Boat Type: Bristol 29.9 CB

Bristol 29.9 CB

Post by svbreeze »

Hi All,

I don't see a place to introduce myself, so I'll start here and also introduce my boat.

My name is Craig and I purchased a Bristol 29.9 CB keel last summer. I sail out of Rock Hall. MD on the Chesapeake Bay. Found this site through a youtube channel and am hoping to learn more about how and why for upgrades.

The Bristol is very much original, as far as I can tell, and in good shape.
One area I would like to tackle this winter is replacing the standing rigging and adding a Harken ocean 0 or 1 furling. I'm not finding any info on the original standing rigging sizes or what the optimal sizing may be for more offshore sailing.

Looking forward to learning and sharing as much as possible.
Craig
1978 Bristol 29.9 CB
1990 Compac 19 III
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Bristol 29.9 CB

Post by atomvoyager »

Welcome Craig
A friend of mine fit out his B29.9 and sailed from California to Australia around 2015. Last year I heard the boat was in Indonesia.
As for rigging size you should check what's on there now (probably 7/32" or 1/4" or a combination of the two) and then decide if you can or should upsize from that. Most likely you'll want to use 1/4" all around if the existing clevis pins on mast and chainplates will accept swaged or sta-lok fittings available for the new wire size. The Harken is sized according to headstay diameter - 7/32" is Unit 0, 1/4" is unit 1. Is your rig a sloop with single spreaders? Also, hoist a 100" tape measure with the main halyard and let us know the mast height.
James
svbreeze
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by svbreeze »

Hi James and thank you for the welcome.

I measured the stays and came up with 7/32 for the forestay and backstay. The uppers and lowers are 3/16.

The forestay clevis pin measured 7/16. The forestay chainplate is welded into a piece that includes the anchor roller. Is it okay to drill the clevis pin hole to a 1/2 inch and install 1/4 inch rigging for the Harken 1 ? I talked to the prior owner and he never touched any of the rigging since he bought he boat in 1993. I think I should replace all rigging and chainplates, except the bow.

I'm not sure the mast height, but will measure next time I'm out. I'm sure it's not the tall rig version and it does have one set of spreaders.

Thanks again,
Craig
Craig
1978 Bristol 29.9 CB
1990 Compac 19 III
svbreeze
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by svbreeze »

This is a picture of the forestay integrated with the anchor roller. Wondering if this is strong enough to drill out from 7/16th to 1/2 inch. Not sure if the top of the mast would be able to accept a 1/4 inch wire.
Attachments
Bow Roller
Bow Roller
Craig
1978 Bristol 29.9 CB
1990 Compac 19 III
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by atomvoyager »

If it were me I'd prefer to have 1/4 all around but that is not essential. You could go with 1/4 headstay and 7/32 everywhere else if that was easier for you to get clevis pins to fit existing hardware. 3/16 is undersize for what I would want though. Chainplate clevis pin holes can be drilled out only if there is enough shoulder to allow it without creating a weak point. But no need to do that with your stemhead fitting because a 1/4" wire sta-lok stud is offered for 7/16 turnbuckle with 7/16 clevis pin. Here's the rigging supplier I use:

https://www.riggingandhardware.com/c-11 ... studs.aspx
svbreeze
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by svbreeze »

I agree and would like to do 1/4 all around. I'll have to check the upper and lowers to see what size clevis pins they are using on the mast connection and if a swage fitting for their sizes can accommodate a 1/4in wire.
Craig
1978 Bristol 29.9 CB
1990 Compac 19 III