Gas hose. Needs replacing?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
manos
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Efaki
Boat Type: Mirage 28 - Thames Marine

Gas hose. Needs replacing?

Post by manos »

Aboard Efaki the Gas hose is from brass. It was installed back in 1996 when I bought the boat. Yesterday I noticed that in a few spots, the brass hose has turned green. No apparent damage but is it safe? Should I replace it? The Gas system consists of a camping gas bottle with the appropriate regulator, a rubber hose to connect the regularot to the brass hose, the brass hose and again a rubber hose to connect to the burner. Each year I change the rubber hoses. What do you think?
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

The green color is a natural weathering effect on either brass, copper or bronze. If you have it in only a few spots it probably is because water was dripped on it in those spots at some time. In the US, metallic fuel lines for bottled gas are usually annealed copper. Do you know for sure whether yours are brass, or could they be copper?

The formation of the green corrosion is not harmful and is simply part of the normal aging process. It's really a protective coating against the elements, just as oxidation (rust) is a protective barrier for steel. Just look around at old bronze statues or copper roofs or some such; they take on that green color known as Verdigris. Your gas line is simply doing the same thing.

If you inspect the line and the corrosion appears more serious than simply a surface coating of the green corrosion, then you should take corrective action. But it seems likely that your line s simply aging normally after contact with salt air and/or water.

That said, prudence is always smart when dealing with gas lines on a boat. Do regular leak tests and you'll always be fine. And when in doubt, replace.

Tim
manos
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Efaki
Boat Type: Mirage 28 - Thames Marine

Post by manos »

Yes Tim probably it is copper, but as you know English language is not my mother tongue and so mistakes are some times unvoidable. I'm going to check again more thoroughly this evening but at first sight it is only on the surface of the hose. I have to buy though a gas leak detector just for piece of mind. Thanks for your reply.