tohatsu outboards

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
leah4501

tohatsu outboards

Post by leah4501 »

I read that you bought a 3.5hp tohatsu so I wanted to give you alittle advice seeing that I've used plenty of yours! Make sure you buy some extra shear pins for the prop. If the motor is revved up just a touch and you shift out of neutral**snap**Also it's a good idea if you plan to gunkhole (rocks) with it. An extra sparkplug is a good idea too. These outboards are very finicky with plugs. By the way great website It's been on the top of my favorite's list for along time thanks chuck
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Thanks for the advice on the Tohatsu. As you probably know from reading the site, I love spare parts, so I will definitely stock up on outboard parts as well.

The motor did come with a couple extra shear pins and a spark plug, but I'm sure some extras will always be good to have--if only to help out my neighbor with the same engine. (At least that's how I'd rather put my spares to use)

Fortunately, the outboard is backup only, so we'll never be relying upon it totally. Still, it would be annoying to break a shear pin and not have the use of the engine for the rest of the cruise, or whatever. So I'll add spares to the list.

Thanks,

Tim