What kind of fiberglass. Strand may or cloth?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Badler
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Skylark
Boat Type: Pearson triton

What kind of fiberglass. Strand may or cloth?

Post by Badler »

I’m patching some through hulls on my Pearson triton. My question is. When using epoxy resin west system 105. Can I use fiberglass mat or should I use cloth. I have seen some warnings about using mat with epoxy because of the bond they use with the mat. I got the mat at a boat supply place here in maine. I would think it would be compatible. What should I do?
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: What kind of fiberglass. Strand may or cloth?

Post by atomvoyager »

While certain mat binders may not be optimal I have never had a problem using mat with epoxy resin. But I do normally use a 10 oz cloth or heavier 1208 for most jobs instead. As long as you grind a bevel in the outside and then put several layers on the inside (no bevel needed there), the mat wont be a problem. What I would do is to add enough fiberglass and overlap it to the hull several inches inside so that it is obviously way more than needed to patch a small hole. That way even if it is less than perfect due to some factor such as the mat binder, the safety factor you build in accounts for it. After sanding the patch outside fair you should seal it in a few coats of epoxy primer such as Interprotect 2000e. The amount of fiberglass needed for that job is small so buy some cloth if still in doubt.