Strap Recomendation for Hauling a 8600# Full Keel Sloop on a Trailer - 1965 Bristol 29

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Eidoloneliz23
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Eidolon
Boat Type: Bristol 29

Strap Recomendation for Hauling a 8600# Full Keel Sloop on a Trailer - 1965 Bristol 29

Post by Eidoloneliz23 »

Hello All,
I’m preparing to trailer my Bristol 29 and I’d like recommendations on strap width, strap attachment styles and ratings.

I’m planning on using two straps for the hull and lashing my mast to the pulpit and Push pit with a big fender support in the center.

Your help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Cheers,
Eliz.
Eidoloneliz23
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Re: Strap Recomendation for Hauling a 8600# Full Keel Sloop on a Trailer - 1965 Bristol 29

Post by Eidoloneliz23 »

Hello All,
I called a local boat hauler and chatted about tie down straps.
He uses a 14,000 GVWR trailer to haul full keel sailboats. 15,000 pound straps were recommended
and he talked about strapping perpendicular to the trailer as his preference to prevent possible loosening of the straps. I’ve always strapped down a boat kind of like using a spring line with the bow line leading a little bit aft and the stern light and living little bit forward.

My boat weighs in at 8500 pounds and my trailer is coming in around 1900 pounds. I think the 15,000 pound straps are overkill for me and I have to wonder about strapping perpendicularly being better. Any input would help if someone has suggestions on my strap ratings/widths and knows good sources for high-quality straps that have good ratchets it would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Elizabeth
Eidoloneliz23
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Re: Strap Recomendation for Hauling a 8600# Full Keel Sloop on a Trailer - 1965 Bristol 29

Post by Eidoloneliz23 »

Hello All,
After research and talking with a couple of boat haulers, I’ve settled on US Cargo Control (USCC) brand straps SKU 8840-FH-BLU. …yes blue 😳😊

https://www.uscargocontrol.com

Webbing breaking strength - 20,000 lbs
Assembly breaking strength - 16,200 lbs
WLL - 5400 lbs

The strap includes a label with the working load limit, in compliance with CVSA guidelines, DOT regulations, and WSTDA, CHP & North American Cargo Securement standards.

These are 4 inch ratchet straps with the powder coated flat metal type hooks and the round metal protector on the hook to protect the strap where it takes a turn on the hook, before being stitched down.
The ratchet assemblies are zinc plated.

Great customer service.
They verified the number wraps that can be made around the ratchet drum safely on straps in their warehouse. I was trying to sort out whether to get 40’ straps instead of 30’ straps so they could be used on a different trailer with a different size boat.

USCC recommends to have a minimum of two wraps around the ratchet drum with a maximum of four wraps around the ratchet drum. This ruled out using 40 foot straps on my boat as I would have to cut the strap to a custom length. It’s OK to do this if you use a hot knife to cut the strap, but I decided to stick with the 30 foot straps with the stitch finished ends.

Also, they located Cordura strap protector sleeves cut to custom lengths by the foot. They slip onto the straps.
Will try these on the 4” straps were they take the 90°+ turn at the toerail to protect the strap and the boat finish.

These straps are available on Amazon but they’re $20-$30 more including the shipping from USCC with no P2P customer service. I placed the order directly from the manufacturer as currently there’s no provision to order the custom Cordura sleeves on the website.

Cheers,

Elizabeth
Attachments
F977A5EC-B57B-41EC-8D19-112E5976079C.jpeg
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by atomvoyager »

I didn't notice this post until today. Those 5,400 lb WLL straps are more than big enough. I use these $50 5,000 lb ones, one in each corner. They will never see even a 1,000 lb load. They are not certified for anything but have worked fine for me on many cross country hauls including a couple tire blow outs and once with a wheel losing it's lugs and falling off on a large bridge. For short hauls on smaller boats I sometimes use 3,300 lb straps. There's a difference between what professional haulers use for long frequent hauls with mostly larger boats and what we need for occasional small boat use.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotiv ... 64835.html
Eidoloneliz23
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Eidoloneliz23 »

Hi James,

Thanks!! and you are so right about occasional trailer use and cost of straps.

I got these straps in and they’re very well-built. The ratchet assemblies are well-made and heavy duty so hopefully I won’t get frustrated by them. Sometimes the cheaper ones seem to be evil and frustrating.
They were are a few pennies more indeed, but I’m also using them for some of the boat recovery down in South Florida.

I wanted to be sure I had straps that had all the certifications on them so that I don’t get hassled by the fuzz.

Having wheels fall off must’ve been pretty exciting!! 😳😊

I’m making progress on the trailer!!! Thanks for all your feedback it’s very valuable.

Cheers!!!

Elizabeth