Setting up the Mast for safe travel on a trailer

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Eidoloneliz23
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Eidolon
Boat Type: Bristol 29

Setting up the Mast for safe travel on a trailer

Post by Eidoloneliz23 »

Hello,

I’ll be unstepping my mast soon!! I am soliciting your ideas and input on how to secure the mast on deck …(horizontal 😊)

I’ve done this in the past by putting two bys on the pulpit and push pit and lashing with yacht braid.

Any ideas that would be less stressful for my pulpit and pushpin would be appreciated.

Cheers!! To Sailing,

Elizabeth
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Setting up the Mast for safe travel on a trailer

Post by atomvoyager »

If the mast clears the coachroof when sitting on pulpit and pushpit then the simplest way to reduce those loads is to just add a center support on the coachroof to share the load. That could be a v-shaped 2x4 crutch with a bolt or build a wood brace of any type that is stable. The pulpit would have a 2x4 or wider piece lashed across it to place that load on the two vertical tubes of the pulpit. The other end could be offset for the mast to be close to or over a vertical tube as well. Or you can raise the mast at the aft or both ends with v-shaped 2x4 crutches that are lashed in place. Maybe someone else has other ideas?
Eidoloneliz23
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Eidolon
Boat Type: Bristol 29

Re: Setting up the Mast for safe travel on a trailer

Post by Eidoloneliz23 »

Thanks James!!!
I think I’ve have a pretty good idea … I’ve done it before.
I’ve just forgotten the details on how did it other than lashing the 2 X’s to the pull and push pits.

Love this site!!! :D

Elizabeth