Gasket for sliding hatch

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
vanguard64
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Alegría
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Gasket for sliding hatch

Post by vanguard64 »

I would like to know what others are using as a gasket where the companionway sliding hatch meets the upper edge of the top hatch board. I have used a 3/16 X 1/2 inch rectangular rubber weather strip attached to the underside of the sliding hatch but with repeated use, it fails as it passes over the top hatch board.
Thanks
Marcelo
A30 #441
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Gasket for sliding hatch

Post by atomvoyager »

A sliding contact usually doesn't work for gaskets. It needs a compression contact not sliding so most people just rely on the overhanging trim lip of the hatch to shed water. If your trim piece does not overhang about an inch with not too big a gap then you can replace or add a larger piece of trim. Beyond that, I sometimes put a gasket on the vertical surface of the frame of the sliding part where it meets the drop boards so that it meets in compression, not a sliding contact. If your boat doesn't have that framing on the hatch you can add it.
CapnK
Site Admin

Post by CapnK »

I've always liked and plan to try a version of the companionway cover Yves Gelinas came up with for his circumnavigation. Basically a sheet of clear material with a few battens that are a bit wider than the companionway opening to hold it stiff.
The construct just flops down over the opening via gravity (which should always work ;) ), keeping spray, wind, etc out.
Quick ingress/egress, and lets plenty of light in as a bonus.

Maybe a short version of just a few inches length would work, instead of a gasket?
Kurt and Barque, the CrewDog.
Sundance, '71 A-30, #429
Katie Marie, Ariel #422
Melelani, Islander 36 (shoal)

sailFar.net - Small boats, Long distances...
vanguard64

Post by vanguard64 »

Thanks for your input. The trim piece on the sliding part of the hatch is flush with the face of the hatch board in the fully closed position. This allows use of two hinged Perko clasps on both sides of the sliding hatch to engage the twist locks on the top of the top hatch boards. If I extend the trim aft, the clasps would not engage. Therefore, placing the gasket on the sliding portion of the hatch where it compresses against the top board may work the best.
vanguard64

Post by vanguard64 »

A30 hatch
A30 hatch
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by atomvoyager »

You might be able to add a trim lip on top the sliding hatch that overhangs an inch or so to shed water as in the photo here, although I'm not sure if it will interfere with the current hasp setup you have. Otherwise, if your gasket failed at the glue joint, try using 3m Black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive instead of relying on the weak adhesive that comes on the gaskets.
Attachments
AtomHatch06kb698.JPG
vanguard64

Post by vanguard64 »

I like the idea of the overhanging trim but as you say will probably interfere with the hasps. I might try a gasket with a round profile using the adhesive you mentioned. The round profile will probably present less of an edge when the sliding hatch goes over the top hatch board.