Chainplate covers

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
lsheaf
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Stardust
Boat Type: Allied Seawind 30

Chainplate covers

Post by lsheaf »

Hey guys,

I have some chainplate covers I bought from Schaefer Marine a few months but haven’t had a chance to install them yet. What kind of fasteners are recommended to install them?

My first opinion would be to through bolt them through the deck but maybe that’s not needed. Other people have suggested tapping the fiberglass and using machine screws to fasten the cover. The original covers were installed with wood screws and didn’t seem to hold well.

Logan
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Chainplate covers

Post by atomvoyager »

What I've done is dry-fit the covers, take them off, oversize drill the holes, fill with epoxy, redrill for self-tapping stainless #8 x 1/2"" screws. The epoxy is brittle so you need to drill the holes big enough and then don't overtighten and strip the screws. I make sure there is a small gap between fiberglass and chain plate and pack in butyl on top and then push down the cover plate and lightly and gradually tighten the screws while pushing down more on the cover.
lsheaf
Master Varnisher

Post by lsheaf »

Got it, I’ll order some self tappers from McMaster-Carr. I did actually remove coring from all of the chain plate “cutouts” when I replaced the chain plates and filled them with 610 thickened epoxy. I think there should be enough thickened epoxy to drill and screw a self-tapper in.
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by atomvoyager »

You may be thinking I meant some other screws. I don't usually buy common items from McMaster because they're pricey. What I meant was these "tapping" screws as they're called at West Marine, available everywhere, and what you are probably already using for other jobs:

https://www.westmarinepro.com/buy/fasco ... 90_003_013

FASCO FASTENER
Stainless Steel Phillips Pan-Head Tapping Screws
lsheaf
Master Varnisher

Post by lsheaf »

Yes I was thinking of screws used in sheet metal fabrication.
I thought self tappers had a small cutting tip on them.
I see what you mean now though. Luckily I didn’t order them yet haha.