How much awlgrip for topsides?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
lsheaf
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Stardust
Boat Type: Allied Seawind 30

How much awlgrip for topsides?

Post by lsheaf »

Hey guys,

I’ve asked a couple professional painters in the local yard how much awlgrip topcoat I will need to paint my 30 footer. They both said to buy a gallon of primer and a gallon of the topcoat ( I do understand a gallon of topcoat/primer turns into way more useable product after mixing the converter/reducer). I’ve read people doing a whole 30 footer with under a quart of mixed paint solution. Maybe this was suggested because I’m inexperienced and may have a lot of trial and error coats before getting it right? Also, I think awlgrip manufactures some kind of “hot weather” reducer...I assume that would be recommended for use in the Caribbean?
Logan
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: How much awlgrip for topsides?

Post by atomvoyager »

I assume you're doing roll and tip rather than spraying. In my experience on your size boat you need about 1 qt of reduced paint per coat for topsides and slightly less for deck, excluding nonskid areas. 2-3 coats are needed. From the application guide linked below it shows two parts Awlgrip Topcoat Base Component with one part Awlcat #3/H3002 Brushing Converter. Reduce 10–33% with T0031. Overall mix is 2:1:1⁄3–1 by volume. Example: 8 oz. Base, 4 oz. H3002, 1.3–4 oz. T0031.

So for those mix ratios you will need two qts of base for topsides. You may need more than that for the primer.

https://specialtycoatings.brand.akzonob ... 190118.pdf

On the reducers data page below you'll see that reducer T0031 is best for temps under 85 degrees which is OK if you paint before noon. But it's also useable up to 90 degrees. They recommend adding up to 10% more reducer for hotter weather. You should ask the distributor if they recommend another additive for your situation because I'm not aware of any.

https://specialtycoatings.brand.akzonob ... 190118.pdf

Having said all that, you don't have to use Awlgrip. As a novice you might try a less expensive, more forging product. Ask around what the local DIY guys are using. Maybe try Perfection or something else.
lsheaf
Master Varnisher

Post by lsheaf »

Hey James,
Thank you for the information. Based on your experience and the cost difference between a quart/gallon it may be best to get the gallon. If I have leftovers I can always use it to paint my main spar and even the decks.

I’ve used perfection once to paint my mizzen mast and in order to get a continuous even coat I had to add approximately a tablespoon of reducer every five minutes. Otherwise it would get too thick and result in a poor finish. Must I do something similar with the awlgrip?

Logan
atomvoyager

Post by atomvoyager »

Yes all paints need an addition of reducer depending on the temps, humidity, wind, direct sunlight on the paint tray, and speed of application. There is no set formula for how much reducer and how often. You get the feel of the conditions and how easy the paint is going on and if the brush is dragging as you tip it or not. With two people, one rolling and one tipping, it goes fast so you may not need to add to it or less often. If your helper doesn't have any painting skill, in fast drying conditions they can still hold the paint tray for you and place a cover over it between reloading brush and roller.
lsheaf
Master Varnisher

Post by lsheaf »

Very interesting thank you for the information. My other question about painting has to do with the toe rails. My boat has aluminum toe rails that through bolt on the hull-deck joint and I assume they will need to come off to get a good coating. As far as I know there are no leaks in the hull-deck joint so maybe it worth trying to paint up to
The bolts?
Here is a picture so you get a better ideal
image.jpg
Thanks again for helping with this
Logan
atomvoyager

Post by atomvoyager »

For best results in roll and tip you need to work fast to keep a wet edge. Painting that outward flange will slow you down too much so you might just paint the vertical portion of the topsides and not the flange or bolts. Looks like the slightly dissimilar metals of the stainless washers, bolts and nuts are going to continue to drip stains down the new paint. I'm not sure of the best solution to reduce that - maybe replace all three with 316 grade if available, or coat the washers with something like epoxy metal primer.
lsheaf
Master Varnisher

Post by lsheaf »

I just realized I can pull all the bolts out and there appears to be enough room just to roll out the flange. For some reason I was thinking all of the bolts had been sealed in with 5200 but I don’t think that is the case. I’m going to pull one bolt out and see what’s going on. I think you’re right about replacing some of these fasteners...for starters I have found a handful of galvanized washers.

Logan