Allied Sealand 30 Rigging Particulars

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Nick_ander
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: la resistance
Boat Type: siren 17

Allied Sealand 30 Rigging Particulars

Post by Nick_ander »

I just purchased an Allied Sealand 30. Some of the rigging needs to be replaced. Where can one find out stuff like the length and size of the mainstream? Is there a good way to calculate this kind of thing. I figured there would be some documentation somewhere that came with the boat. Any help would be awesome. Thanks.
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Allied Sealand 30 Rigging Particulars

Post by atomvoyager »

If you mean standing rigging then let me know and I'll get back to you.

If you mean mainsheet and other running rigging then yes there are some online recommendations. If you want a chart specific to the Seawind, I don't know where that is and wouldn't follow it blindly anyway because it may be obsolete from modern rope types. If there's an AS owners group that would be a good source of info. Meanwhile, here's a general line size chart at the bottom of this page. For halyards you have to consider your mast sheave diameter:

https://www.sailrite.com/PDF/Rope%20Sel ... ations.pdf

I use these as a guide but make the choices based on my experience. For example, the chart recommends for your boat a 7/16 mainsheet and 3/8 jib sheet. I reverse that because the mainsheet is lightly loaded 4-1 tackle so larger diameter is not warranted and adds weight and friction but jib is highly loaded 1-1. For Tritons, Alberg 30 and similar I use the following, all double braid polyester such as sta-set:
Halyards, spinn/code 0 sheets, reef lines, main sheet, vang - 3/8
Jib sheet - 7/16
Boom and whisker pole top lift, preventer - 5/16
Nick_ander

Post by Nick_ander »

That is exactly what I need. I just need to figure out lengths now. I don't trust what is there. I have found several things around the boat such as bad wiring, mixed metals, critical non stainless pieces, and the like. It was assumed because this was a fresh water boat that a lot of cost cutting was ok. Maybe it was at the time. I am looking to do more, so these things are all getting remedied. If lines were replaced in the past the lengths may be short as a cost savings. I just don't know. I feel that I need to know EVERY piece on my boat. Thanks.
Nick_ander

Post by Nick_ander »

I was reviewing the document from Sailrite and found some idea of the lengths. Thanks.
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by atomvoyager »

Published lengths are a guide but I don't trust them myself and always hoist a 100' tape up the mast to confirm halyard lengths. For the mainsheet I swing out the boom all the way until it touches the aft shrouds to confirm old mainsheet is correct and then pull it out and measure it. Or multiply the distance to end of boom when swung out times the number of tackle, say 4-1 plus some extra for taking to cleat or winch.