Keel Crack

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Nick_ander
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: la resistance
Boat Type: siren 17

Keel Crack

Post by Nick_ander »

I have been going through the process of purchasing an Allied Seawind 30 that came available close to me. I was looking for a coaster, wanderer, or vanguard, but after some research and proximity I decided that the Seawind would be a good boat for me. There are some soft spots on the deck and the usual issues with a boat from the 60's. I have done some extensive deck work in the past and am confident in repairing that. The owner did make me aware of a crack on the keel that was repaired by him. I haven't seen it yet as I haven't hauled the boat out for the survey. For some this might be a disqualifier, bit for others not so much depending on a number of factors. I am having a survey done, but for my own peace of mind what should I be looking for that will tell me this is a no go? Is this something that people on this forum would be comfortable fixing and sailing in rough seas? I can't say much about it without having seen it. I figure there may be locations, sizes, shapes, etc. that may be worse than others. I feel I am paying a fair price for the boat and going lower at this point isn't much of an option. The survey is basically going to be a pass/fail. I am willing to take into any and all opinions and advice into consideration. Thanks.
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Keel Crack

Post by atomvoyager »

If the previous owner repaired the crack he might know whether it was caused by a collision or some other issue and that would be good to know. Not having a photo or in person inspection it's not possible to say for sure but I'd expect it is repairable without too much time and money provided the boat is at a yard where you can work on it yourself. Many boatyards that allow DIY have a clause that says owners can't work below the waterline. This is the kind of job that I wouldn't let a yard do unless I had plenty of money and stood over them to supervise. Let us know when you get more info.
Nick_ander
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: la resistance
Boat Type: siren 17

Re: Keel Crack

Post by Nick_ander »

After the boat was hauled out, I was able to locate the repair. It seemed solid to me and lower on keel. The surveyor and I spent a good deal of time discussing and investigating it. He agreed that the repair was good and solid. He wasn't concerned with it. I, myself was satisfied with the repair. Everything else was a pass for me and I purchased the vessel. Thanks.