Inspecting the Aging Sailboat

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Nick_ander
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: la resistance
Boat Type: siren 17

Inspecting the Aging Sailboat

Post by Nick_ander »

I picked up this Don Casey book and read through it. The question I have revolves around the fact that an aging boat usually has a whole multitude of issues. I am one of those people who knows how to do fiberglass. I can do a few other things, but my knowledge in other areas will have to be increased. I am curious as to what may pass the test. I don't want to wait 5 years to be on the water because of a total refit. I also have limited funds and am better suited for refitting, adding, and adjusting things as they are needed. That brings me to this:

When you go to look at a vessel what are the things that would cause you to pump the breaks? What are automatic disqualifiers in terms of condition (not type and features.) I looked at a vessel this past weekend. I really liked it, but there are a few things that need some attention such as some soft spots on the deck, leaking port lights, some leaking stanchions. I don't feel the boat is worth what is being asked, but I may throw an offer and see what happens. The offer would also be survey dependent. I am pretty certain this boat will pass, but I am one of those people who will lose sleep worried about getting burned.

Thanks.
svMira
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Mira
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Re: Inspecting the Aging Sailboat

Post by svMira »

The thing that would stop me is anything that I can't change/update/improve on my own. And, that'll be subjective to experience. I'm not up to doing a repower, so it was really nice when my boat already came with a diesel, replacing the Atomic Four. I just don't have the equipment to do that 'easily'. And for me 'easily' is defined by the lack of heavy equipment to move the engine and a lack of metal fab tools. Probably a little more abstract a definition than you were hoping for.

One thing I don't understand is the $15-30K boats. The stuff from the late 80's and 90's. If you aren't happy with everything on the boat as it is, and it all being usable, current, and it good repair, you're going to change stuff out. And I don't see much difference between 30 years out of date and paying upwards of $20K and 50 years out of date and paying $5k. Both boats are going to require pulling almost everything and replacing it, so what was the extra $15+K for? Just getting a slightly more modern hull shape/design? That's a lot to pay for that. You're going to doing rigging, sails, canvas, cushions, electrics, electronics, galley rework on both boats. Not to mention the paint and glass work.

One thing to consider in your plan is that your ability may not require a fully capable boat right off the start. But if you are just getting into the larger boats and learning the new aspects, you might be able to scale the improvements over a few seasons as your ability pushes what you ask of the boat.
Marvin - s/v Mira - 1971 Pearson Wanderer #174
svmira.ca