How do you fuel your boat?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
svMira
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Mira
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

How do you fuel your boat?

Post by svMira »

Any tips/tricks to fuel your boat?
I have the filler in the center of the floor of the cockpit and refuel from jerry cans. I have no indicators or fuel gauges By the time I can see fuel in the filler neck of the tank, I've overfilled it. And, just looking down into the tank, I can't tell how close I am to the top of the tank. I'd like to not spill, but I'd also like to have a full tank. (diesel)
Marvin - s/v Mira - 1971 Pearson Wanderer #174
svmira.ca
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: How do you fuel your boat?

Post by atomvoyager »

I'd want a fuel gauge of some type. Maybe you could add a site tube. If installing fittings into the tank isn't practical could you add a T fitting to the tank outlet and run a clear tube up from there and tie it into the vent? Relocating the filler above the cockpit floor might help too.
OverTheReef
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Affinity
Boat Type: Bristol 26

Post by OverTheReef »

I worked on a research trawler for a couple years, and we used to use a wooden stick to measure the fuel level. If it's a straight fill tube, that might work, or, if the fill tube isn't straight, you could make a "dipstick" out of something flexible. You could mark it at the full level.
Joe
1970 Bristol (Sailstar) 26
svMira
Master Varnisher

Post by svMira »

Mine is straight and I can use and have used a dipstick. Part of the problem is what to do with it after. But the real problem I had was I did the math, and had it calibrated, dipped and knew exactly how much room I had left to fill, dumped in less fuel than that and promptly overflowed the filler. That was annoying. I probably just have to gain a little more experience with the system. I might have a tilt to my tank that is creating an air pocket or something.
svmira.ca
svMira
Master Varnisher

Post by svMira »

I hadn't yet bought a proper diesel jerry can for my boat yet. Had meant to, but hadn't quite got around to it. I was in my local Princess Auto and found a bottom emptying push button fuel jug - surecan https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8889370e. Just filled the first jug's worth into the boat and it works really slick. Crazy expensive vs a regular fuel jug, but it didn't leak a drop. I could control the rate of fill and there was little ugly holding the jug at weird angles while not being able to see down into the tank. Just at the end to get the last drops out as the nozzle isn't quite at the bottom of the jug. ...So far so good.
svmira.ca