Wooden Rudder

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
LuckyBag
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Lucky Bag
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Wooden Rudder

Post by LuckyBag »

I recently purchased a '66 Pearson Triton (Hull #663). Upon haul out, I got a much better look at her rudder (I believe it to be original). It looks like it is in good condition. The vessel was stored indoors for 18 years. Can anyone please share any knowledge and experience about when a rudder may need replacement?
image.jpeg
Dan
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom

Re: Wooden Rudder

Post by atomvoyager »

I replaced my Triton rudder twice in 40 years of ownership. First time it was rotted wood and I replaced it as original with mahogany and white oak planks since I didn't know any better. After a couple years in the Caribbean it was riddled with toredo worm holes so I replaced it with marine ply covered in fiberglass. Both times I used the original pintles and gudgeons and bolted it together as originally assembled. Later I replaced the worn out pintles and gudgeons that were cracked and had very loose pins with stainless since I couldn't locate bronze ones.

If you pull on the lower part of the rudder and it rattles around due to worn pins then it's time to replace them. If you stick a knife into the wood and it's rotted then the wood should be replaced or patched if the damage is localized. The photo shows the wood has shrunk along the joints. Some people leave it to swell up again in the water or you could fill the gaps with thickened epoxy. If it were mine I'd also add a layer of epoxy/glass the the entire rudder to strengthen it and help preserve it a few more years. Some wooden boat experts will say don't do this so maybe someone here can give you another opinion. Might be good idea to join a wooden boat forum and ask there.
LuckyBag

Post by LuckyBag »

Many thanks for sharing your experience and ways to check the the integrity of the pins, etc. I will ask around about overlaying with epoxy/glass...sounds like a good idea to me and could be done without too much trouble. Perhaps it could add some years to it. Thanks again!
Dan
Pendragon35
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Pendragon
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Pendragon35 »

I have an Alberg 35 (1965), also a wooden rudder, built by the same people who built your Triton I believe. Mine is mahogany and when dried out, there are gaps between the planks. I assume these swell up when it's in the water, like a wooden boat.
I also have a spruce boom with some cracks. I thought to encapsulate the boom in epoxy and fiberglass but a wooden boat builder for whom I have profound respect said absolutely not, that water would get inside inevitably and the epoxy would trap it and lead to rot. He said fill the cracks with epoxy but don't do the whole boom.
I know it's not a Triton, but there is a guy in Maine who did a painstakingly documented series of a five year rebuild of an Alberg 35. At some point he built a rudder out of marine plywood glued up, bronze bolts welded to the rudder shaft. It's amazing and someday I hope to emulate it. I can't remember the exact post but they are all there on http://www.alberg35.com/.
Just for whatever it's worth, I got an estimate from a company that builds rudders for mine...$6,000! eek
LuckyBag

Post by LuckyBag »

Many thanks for the response and sharing your thoughts! The previous owner mentioned the same thing about the boards swelling and closing the gaps which obviously makes sense. I followed atomvoyager's advice with regards to evaluating the soundness of the pintles, gudgeons, etc. and I'm satisfied to go another season as is and will inspect again upon the next haul out. I do want to make a template of the rudder in case I have to ever reconstruct it (definitely to be done myself based on your mentioned quote). Stay safe and fair winds!
Dan