1965 Pearson 41

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Deric Meakins
Bottom Sanding Grunt

1965 Pearson 41

Post by Deric Meakins »

Going to look at this boat this weekend up in Annapolis. Anyone have advice for certain pitfalls with this model? Yanmar 3gm 30F is sufficient power for this kind of weight? Btw I'm a total greenhorn no nothing couch sailor and I cant even tell you why im being drawn to the ocean, but its happening.....
p41.jpg
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: 1965 Pearson 41

Post by atomvoyager »

Maybe someone who knows this model will comment. Meanwhile, I don't know specifics about this model but boats of this type and era will commonly need a lot of work and money to get in cruising condition. Main areas to look closely at are condition of every component of the mast and rigging, steering system, engine system, sails, soft spongy feeling deck core that indicates core rot, and lots more. No harm in looking it over as part of your education but before buying you will want a survey and be there looking over the surveyors shoulder asking questions. You need to make a list of all the gear you will want on the boat from maybe roller furling, anchor windlass, upgraded winches, storm sails and light air sails, autopilot or windvane, electronics, dinghy and so on. Estimate cost of each item and make a check list for each boat you inspect to see what they are lacking on your list so you get an idea of expected costs. Then double that amount and you should be closer to what you'll end up spending.

Obviously, a smaller boat already fit out is the better choice for most people in your situation. People are different though so I won't presume to speak for what you are able to manage. I've seen a lot of new sailors fail to get the boat sailing when they took on too big a project but maybe you are an exception. And you don't need a perfect boat to go sailing in local waters and get a feel for if this thing is suitable for you.

30 HP was considered adequate in the 1960s when the boat was built and it should be enough now. Most people today would want more power because their motoring skills are better than their sailing skills. The sea and boat hasn't changed in all those years, it's the sailors and their expectations that have changed so it's more like personal preference. Much more important than hp is to have an engine in good condition that is not too old.
Deric Meakins
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Re: 1965 Pearson 41

Post by Deric Meakins »

Thank you for the insight, owner was delightful old mad scientist of the boat-yard. It seemed he had a knack for starting and stopping multiple projects without any completed, or maybe just got back on track after reaching retirement. At any rate using your formula in my head a 15k boat quickly and violently turned into a 60-80k boat, bloody knuckles, itchy fiberglass filled eyes and just as quickly as I was turned on about this one I was gonna have to pat her on the ears and treat her like a stray dog and walk away. I did find another alberg 30 that was pretty well equipped and on a nice trailer but couldn't get up to PA to look at it soon enough bf it sold. Lastly I've found a 68 triton that was trailered up from FL in the early 70's and has been sitting in a building in upstate NY ever since, someone has stole the atomic 4 from it and the trailer looks like it was welded post appocoliptic. Just watched your new video on u-tube, got me all jazzed up again. We have to see how many more hours of overtime I can work and how much abuse the ex-wife can dish out for this upcoming year, but you never know 2020 may be the year I can realize the start of a new chapter. Happy holidays so on and so forth!!!