Jacklines, tethers, and harnesses

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
vanguard64
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Alegría
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Jacklines, tethers, and harnesses

Post by vanguard64 »

Good evening,
I am in the process of improving safety aboard my Alberg 30 as my wife and I take more frequent 2-3 day trips aboard. Our sailing is coastal for now. There is enough information about safety harnesses, tethers, and jacklines to "drown" in. Some principals seem clear though. The jacklines should be as close to the center line of the boat as possible and the tethers should be short enough so as not to fall off. With a narrow beam boat like mine, it is difficult to fulfill these. It seems you have a better chance of drowning falling off with a tether that drags you through the water. In addition, there is the question of harnesses. I am not a fan of inflatable PFDs even though I have owned them in the past. But it seems that these days, they are the only ones that combine flotation plus harness in one.
I would like to know what other seasoned cruisers have done in dealing with this topic. I value what is simple yet proven.
I appreciate the input.
Marcelo Gentinetta
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Jacklines, tethers, and harnesses

Post by atomvoyager »

I don't think you'll find a perfect safety harness and attachment system. What might be best is two centerline jacklines that go from a center bow area attachment point, close along each side of the mast to some pad eyes in the cockpit. The jacklines would be inboard enough that a 3' tether should keep you aboard. But that won't work for most of us because we have a dodger and bimini in the way. That leaves running the webbing jacklines along the side decks from bow cleats to stern cleats or pad eyes. If a boat has high freeboard or you have an unlikely fall off the windward side then your crew brings you aboard. On my boat I've always used lines or webbing on each side from the center of the boat on a handrail so that the lines are long enough to reach from bow to stern. You could use two pad eyes if the handrails are not secure enough. There's a snap shackle on the ends to attach to the harness with no separate tethers. On my low freeboard boat I can pull myself aboard.
vanguard64
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Alegría
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Post by vanguard64 »

Thanks for your reply.
So in essence, your harness is attached directly to the snap hooks on the ends of the jacklines? How do stay attached when you go forward? Do you wear a PFD at all or just the harness? I assume your handrails are just like mine, through bolted through the coach roof. I also assume you are relying on some elasticity in the system to absorb some of the jerking force that can break a rib.
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by atomvoyager »

I guess you would call my harness lines tethers rather than jacklines. I don't usually wear a PFD since it would only prolong the inevitable. But I am always attached to the tether when on deck if the boat is moving at all. Since the 14' long tethers are attached amidships and can reach bow to stern, when I step into the cabin I unhook the line and leave it strung across the companionway. I keep the harness on even when sleeping so I don't need to get into it to quickly go on deck. As I go out the companionway it only takes a couple seconds to connect the tether. I haven't thought about breaking a rib - I guess it could happen but on a small, low freeboard boat I expect most likely I'd be grabbing the toerail or lifeline as I went over and break the fall somewhat. You have my phone number so if it's not clear, give me a call.