Outhaul for Alberg 30

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
vanguard64
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Alegría
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Outhaul for Alberg 30

Post by vanguard64 »

It is time to upgrade the outhaul on my A30. Presently, it only has a 3:1 external purchase which is very weak for making adjustments while underway. My thoughts are to add a 6:1 internal purchase system and double that to 12:1 by adding a block to the clew of the sail. So in essence, a 1/8 SS wire would be attached to the end cap of the boom, pass through the wire block on the clew, enter the boom through an entry block at the aft end and then from there connect to the purchase system which consists of a double block with becket and a triple block. The double would be attached via another 1/8 wire to an internal eye strap near the forward end cap of the boom. I plan on using 3/16 double braid between the double and triple blocks and the adjusting end would come out of the boom on one side at companionway level through an exit block and to a cam cleat.
Any thoughts on this are appreciated.
Marcelo Gentinetta
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Outhaul for Alberg 30

Post by atomvoyager »

If I had a loose-footed main I might be tempted to adjust the outhaul but being a lazy sailor I never adjust mine so maybe someone else here can answer your question better. The A30 likes to be reefed relatively early and when reefed the outhaul is out of service. It also seems ineffective to adjust it downwind so there is a very small light air wind range when it is useful and even then, does the tiny speed difference on your boat make it worthwhile? It would be interesting to have someone monitor the GPS while you repeatedly tweak it to find out what the gain is.

I have seen internal wire outhaul tackle on some booms so it is not uncommon. If you already have a working external 3-1 why not try the simpler thing and replace it with two triple blocks for 6-1? If I needed more than that on a bigger boat I would go to a boom winch instead. One way to do that would be to set up the outhaul similar to the first reef with an external cheek block close to the end of the boom and run it forward to a cam cleat and then a winch that double as a reef line winch. If you ever want to reef downwind in large seas you'll appreciate that winch.
vanguard64
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Alegría
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Post by vanguard64 »

My main reason for adding extra purchase is to be able to flatten the main to lessen heel angle in that wind speed before taking the first reef. I do agree that a winch on the boom is probably a good addition especially for reefing. I have the 3 cheek blocks on a track for the reefing lines and have learned after being down to the second reef several times already, that a boom winch is a very wise addition. Your idea of using the winch to adjust the outhaul is a good "out of the box" thought.
Thanks
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by atomvoyager »

Maybe the simplest method if you add a winch is to take a line from the clew to a single block on the top of the end of the boom and forward to the cam cleat and winch. Or if you want a little purchase so you don't need to use the winch in light air just lengthen your 3-1 to reach your winch. If for some reason that doesn't lead fair and you have space at the end of the boom then you might add a pad eye to one side and cheek block to the other as on a reef line.

Even when I don't need the extra power using the winch handle I find it much easier to throw one wrap on the winch and pull the reef line in by hand rather than straining to hold the tension while I get it cleated because the ratcheting of the winch helps reduce the load. Of course if you never slacken the outhaul in the first place then you don't need to flatten it for less heel when the wind picks up but that would make you a lazy sailor like me.