Recommended line sizes

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
svMira
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Mira
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Recommended line sizes

Post by svMira »

Is there a table of recommended line size related to boat size?

I have a hunch that a bunch of my sheets and halyards have been swapped around on my boat as they wore out or convenient used line has been used to replace ones that have worn out. So, I don't feel that I can use what I have for reference when I go to replace them.

What would be your recommendations for main, jib, spinnaker sheets and halyards for a 30' boat? I'm guessing my Wanderer is close enough to Tritons and Alberg 30's to be in the same ballpark.
Marvin - s/v Mira - 1971 Pearson Wanderer #174
svmira.ca
markwesti
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Patricia A
Boat Type: Westsail 28

Re: Recommended line sizes

Post by markwesti »

For halyards , main , jib , I would say no bigger than 7/16 . I like Sta-Set New England , not to be confused with Sta-Set X . For sheets possibly but not necessarily 1/2 , because it's easier on the hands . For Spinnaker I'm thinking 3/8 halyard and sheets .
How did I do ?
CapnK
Site Admin

Post by CapnK »

On boats the size of ours where nearly any line considered will be strong enough, for sheets I like to go as small in diameter as possible yet which feels comfortable in the hand. Keeping it small means keeping it light, so that there is as little weight as possible affecting sail trim in lighter air.
AFA halyards, I pick size based on the sheaves.
I'd say Marks dimensions are probably a good rule of thumb. :) I like Sta-Set X for halyards because it is low stretch without fancy line pricing. It's about 1/2 the stretch of regular Sta-Set, which I prefer for sheets as it has a softer hand.
Kurt and Barque, the CrewDog.
Sundance, '71 A-30, #429
Katie Marie, Ariel #422
Melelani, Islander 36 (shoal)

sailFar.net - Small boats, Long distances...
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by atomvoyager »

For Tritons, Alberg 30 and similar I use the following, all double braid polyester such as sta-set:
Halyards, spinn/code 0 sheets, reef lines, main sheet, vang - 3/8
Jib sheet - 7/16
Boom and whisker pole top lift, preventer - 5/16