Adding a solent stay

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
svMira
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Mira
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Adding a solent stay

Post by svMira »

I may have found some used sails to expand my heavy weather sailing range. This means adding a solent stay. Modifying rigging is new to me so I've got a few questions.
1. Anyone know of a good online supplier for the hardware needed to add a solent stay? Mast hound, terminal joints, wire, etc.. Bonus points if they're Canadian.
2. When I rig the solent stay, what do I do with the sheets from the furling jib? How do I keep them out of the way of the inner jib? And, how do I keep the furling jib rolled up tight when the jib sheets aren't running aft taut?
3. What's the preferred way to attach the solent stay at the bottom? What's the best way to get it short enough to store at the side by the shrouds and also long enough to attach at an eye at the bow? Wondering hardware to use and where to leave the slack.
Marvin - s/v Mira - 1971 Pearson Wanderer #174
svmira.ca
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Adding a solent stay

Post by atomvoyager »

I added a solent stay to an Alberg 30 a couple years ago. I made my own mast hound using two stainless plates bent in a curve around the mast then thru-bolted together. In the past I got various mast hounds from sailingservices.com. I think they were made by Dwyer. You don't need it thru-bolted though so could use something like this mast tang:

http://www.apsltd.com/wichard-babystay- ... steel.html

It doesn't list the dimensions though so you need to check on that. Or this one might fit:

http://www.apsltd.com/stamped-mast-houn ... aps-2.html

I use riggingonly.com for the wire and fittings but If you want to source locally you should contact a local sailmaker. They can recommend a rigger who can supply parts.

At about the 1:30-2:30 mark in the following video you can see that I attach the solent stay with a snap shackle at the end of a turnbuckle to a tang at the aft end of the stemhead (or use a deck mounted pad eye anywhere aft of the stemhead) and then stow it alongside a shroud at the toe rail. You could also attach it to a stanchion base or install a pad eye. The tang at the deck is whatever length needed to make up the distance required. Another method if you don't want to use a tang is to store it further aft and bend the slack wire forward with a lashing or curved stainless holder but I never wanted to set it up that way.

https://www.atomvoyages.com/gallery/you ... -2016.html

To hoist the storm jib I lash a short line around the furled job up near the sheets and then run them straight down to the bow cleats or anywhere out of the way.
CapnK
Site Admin

Post by CapnK »

atomvoyager wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:30 amTo hoist the storm jib I lash a short line around the furled job up near the sheets and then run them straight down to the bow cleats or anywhere out of the way.
Double-checking: You do this so that A) you don't need to unbend them from the furled sail, and B) to keep them out of the way of the storm jib sheets?

Good idea!
Kurt and Barque, the CrewDog.
Sundance, '71 A-30, #429
Katie Marie, Ariel #422
Melelani, Islander 36 (shoal)

sailFar.net - Small boats, Long distances...
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by atomvoyager »

That's right.
svMira
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Mira
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Post by svMira »

I got my sail. Looks really good. Found out about Bacon Sails on a pod cast and searched their used sails database. Picked up a 'storm' jib and an Asym Spin. Now I have to figure out how to rig two different sails that the boat isn't set up for yet. Should be fun. I know the little jib will get way more use than the asym, but I'm really tickled to have picked up one for about 1/4 the price of new. The jib was about 1/3 to 1/2 of new, but it is a smaller sail. I really didn't expect that an asym would end up on the boat for a few years just because of the cost of the thing.
They did ship it through the post, so it got 'caught' by customs and I had to pay almost a hundred in taxes, but still. Should be an interesting summer working out how to add the stay for the jib and the lines and such for the asym.
Marvin - s/v Mira - 1971 Pearson Wanderer #174
svmira.ca