Help picking out a new pocket cruiser

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
markwesti
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Patricia A
Boat Type: Westsail 28

Help picking out a new pocket cruiser

Post by markwesti »

I started talking to this guy online about a boat he was thinking about , it was a Pacific Seacraft Orion 27' . That deal didn't go so well because the motor was iffy . I'm getting ahead of myself here , guy in question would like something very salty (cutter rig)will be a bonus bow sprit is a must , that will fit into a 25' slip . In the marina he want's , a 25' slip will take up to a 29' 11" LOA boat . Over last weekend he told me he was going to travel for about 2.5 hrs to look at a 20' PCS Flicka . that boat I think will fit a 20' slip . So I think he is looking in that range of slips rather than larger , also slip availability is also a factor . Right now he would be able to go into a 20' , 25' with no wait . 30' slips are locked up , there are 35' slips open and that's what we are in because of the over hang rule we measure 35' LOA . I did mention if he could swing a 35' slip it would open up a lot of boats to him , but I think his comfort range is more 20'-25' . Also I think 25K is about the top of the budget .
So the big question , what is the saltiest long keel boat with a bow sprit , up to 29' 11" .
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Help picking out a new pocket cruiser

Post by atomvoyager »

Although the Flicka is an attractive if quirky design he may be surprised at its not so great sailing performance caused by putting too much boat into too small a space and an undersized rig.
Pacific Seacraft Dana 24 or Pacific Seacraft 25 - but not many available and probably too expensive.
I refit and sailed a Morris Frances 26 that had a salty bowsprit but also over his budget and most didn't come with the optional bowsprit.
Some of the Cape Dorys have a short bowsprit or anchor platform such as the 28 but not sure the exact LOA. If he didn't mind a big project of adding his own bowsprit then there are many other suitable boats. He could move the headstay to the end of the new sprit and add a staysail stay to the original stemhead. A Pearson Ariel and many others could be made to work.
He may want to look over the boats listed below:
https://www.atomvoyages.com/planning/go ... -list.html
CapnK
Site Admin

Re: Help picking out a new pocket cruiser

Post by CapnK »

I can only think of one other boat of this type that may/may not fit the bill (or slip) - all the same boat just about, different sizes, all are likely out of his budget range I think - but how about either a Falmouth or Bristol Channel Cutter, or maybe Nor-sea 27?
Kurt and Barque, the CrewDog.
Sundance, '71 A-30, #429
Katie Marie, Ariel #422
Melelani, Islander 36 (shoal)

sailFar.net - Small boats, Long distances...