Satellite Data Systems

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Ian Palmer
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Valhalla
Boat Type: 1978 Pearson 365

Satellite Data Systems

Post by Ian Palmer »

I am on the market to buy and install a satellite data system so that I can have simple Internet anywhere in the world. My main goal is to have access to weather, email, bank accounts, simple web browsing for research etc. I just visited Satellite Phone Store in San Diego and they are recommending me Inmarsat Fleet One 25mb/month program. From my research I see that the most popular option is iridium go. The salesman has informed me that Iridium Go is not capable of meeting my needs because iridium go is only for email weather and texting. The Inmarsat option cost $3400 for equipment and $139 per month. The iridium go system cost approximately $1000 or equipment and the same $139 per month. The Inmar system is bulkier but delivers more performance. I am leaning towards The Inmarsat option but it does feel funny that I am going to pay $3500 for this piece of equipment. It almost feels like it defeats my solo adventure sailor spirit. But then again if I can manage my finances in a way that the $3500 will recoup many times over each year then I guess it is a no brainer as well as a few more layers of safety.… What do you guys think or recommend? Much appreciated, Ian-
markwesti
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Patricia A
Boat Type: Westsail 28

Re: Satellite Data Systems

Post by markwesti »

The way you describe it Ian , the Iridium Go will not met your requirements . There was a big dust up on this topic in Latitude 38 . Honestly I didn't pay that much attention to it . The one thing , IIRC was some users were getting cut off (I for get which service) and then had no way to deal with that .
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Satellite Data Systems

Post by atomvoyager »

That Inmarsat is a big expense that could soon go obsolete or breakdown and you probably don't need it. A lot of people
are anxious to go offline but you should ask yourself why you need to always be online. Do you really need to be connected
24/7 when you are out cruising? Even though it might be convenient to the lifestyle you imagine, it's seldom necessary. I
would think you could get by with the least expensive system of Iridium GO if you need voice or just the Inreach if text
will suffice. Your time at sea is a small percentage compared to the time in port. You might learn to enjoy unplugging for
awhile and then when it's convenient or really important you come to stay for awhile in a port where you can connect to
wifi either on your boat or by going ashore. You could set up a wifi range extender antenna like others have done or just
wait and see what options other cruisers are doing in the foreign ports you decide to have an extended stay at.
Here's a discussion:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13 ... 00669.html