Alberg 30 liner

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
illinois
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Tess
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Alberg 30 liner

Post by illinois »

I would like to gain some more headroom in my 71 Alberg 30. It turns out it has a liner. I was under the impression from the seller it did not have a liner. How much height is the floor liner taking up? I would like to maximize my headroom while maintaining as much floor area as possible.
svMira
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Mira
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Re: Alberg 30 liner

Post by svMira »

My Pearson Wanderer is one of the later ones, third last one. and also has a liner. I'm interested in following this thread as there are areas where I want to remove the liner as well. I'm guessing that I could lower the floor in my boat about 2" without it getting appreciably narrower. But the fact that it affects so many areas makes changing this a rather significant project.
Marvin - s/v Mira - 1971 Pearson Wanderer #174
svmira.ca
CapnK
Site Admin

Post by CapnK »

FWIW - I cut out the overhead liner of my Ariel this summer, and that averaged probably only 1/2" lower than the cabin top behind/above it.

Poking around and cleaning in the bilge of my A-30 (also a '71 - which means you have the AL beam strongback and composite rudder, too :) What hull # is she?), it looks like the liner sits maybe 1" off the hull at top of the turn of the bilge. I'd guesstimate that if you cut away the liner there, you could drop the sole down 2-3" without losing too much width. Maybe more? I'm sure James has a better idea, he's done a lot more surgery on these old Albergs than I have. :)

Mira - did you win the Wanderer in an auction? I saw a post on Facebook a day or two ago from someone who had, and wondered if it was you. :) IIRC, though, they were hull #172.
Kurt and Barque, the CrewDog.
Sundance, '71 A-30, #429
Katie Marie, Ariel #422
Melelani, Islander 36 (shoal)

sailFar.net - Small boats, Long distances...
illinois
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Tess
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Post by illinois »

I have looked at Jame's video where the liner has been already cut out and he is doing the work. I couldn't tell how thick the sole liner was. I am 6'1" and would love a couple inches.
svMira
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Mira
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Post by svMira »

Not me. Bought mine 2 years ago in Wisconsin. I'm #174. 3rd last one!
Marvin - s/v Mira - 1971 Pearson Wanderer #174
svmira.ca