Alberg 30 Liner

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
illinois
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Tess
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Alberg 30 Liner

Post by illinois »

How difficult is it to remove the liner on an Alberg 30? Once the liner is removed, what condition is the hull in? Can one finish the hull by painting at this point? Are the liners installed with difficult to remove adhesives?
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Alberg 30 Liner

Post by atomvoyager »

I can't think of a reason to remove the entire liner since its extensive and useful in many areas. Assuming you just want to remove portions of it where you want access or to modify some cabinetry, The liner is easily cut away and patched in with plywood and glass as needed. Under the liner the hull usually needs nothing beyond a quick sanding with 80 grit and finished with an epoxy primer such as 2000E barrier coat, but you may find some rough loose fiberglass in the bilge that you'll want to grind flat and add another layer of glass to seal in the ballast.
svMira
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Mira
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Post by svMira »

And hang on to your liner off-cuts. I've been doing some modding of my Wanderer interior and anything that I've removed has proved useful for other modifications, backing pads, reusing outside corners and the like.
One frustration working with liners is how crazy inconsistent the thickness is and how uneven the interior surface of the liner is to attach anything to. That, and that fact that, at least on my boat, the liner is angled everywhere so that it is easy to pop out of the mold. Makes trying to reference and add stuff very interesting.
When building off of the liner: don't presume that anything is flat, straight, parallel, level, square or properly supported to the hull where you expect it to be.
Marvin - s/v Mira - 1971 Pearson Wanderer #174
svmira.ca
CapnK
Site Admin

Post by CapnK »

svMira wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:48 am And hang on to your liner off-cuts.
Good advice, pieces can come in handy. For example, I made an outboard motor mount for a daysailer this summer using deck cutouts and former hatches from powerboats. Replaced the rusty heavy thing that was there with a sub-2# maintenance free solution. :)
Kurt and Barque, the CrewDog.
Sundance, '71 A-30, #429
Katie Marie, Ariel #422
Melelani, Islander 36 (shoal)

sailFar.net - Small boats, Long distances...