Bilge pump NOT in Bilge?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
dmairspotter
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Wind Horse
Boat Type: 1974 Dufour 27

Bilge pump NOT in Bilge?

Post by dmairspotter »

My automatic bilge pump has always been one of those self contained units that sits in the bilge.

It sort of crapped out this year so I'd like to replace it. My manual backup is a Whale mounted in the cockpit, well away and higher than the bilge. It works really well. My bilge is pretty cramped, so moving the pump to a remote location has some attraction. Any words of advice/recommendations.

Thanks in advance.
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Re: Bilge pump NOT in Bilge?

Post by earlylight »

There are many options, but you first need to decide the purpose of the new pump. Is it to remove small amounts of remaining water once the manual pump has removed the majority? If so a small pump sitting as low as possible in the bilge would work. If it is to function as an emergency pump to move large quantities, then something else may be appropriate.
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
Paulus
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Guillemot
Boat Type: Mariner Ketch

Post by Paulus »

The whale is self priming - any centrifugal pump will need to be sitting in the water...
dmairspotter
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Wind Horse
Boat Type: 1974 Dufour 27

Post by dmairspotter »

Purpose is to be the automatic pump just for (hopefully) minor amounts of water that collect in the bilge. I found some pumps that can suction lift a few feet but they are quite expensive compared to the submersible ones, so maybe I'll just replace with a like pump.
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Bear in mind that a submersible, centrifugal pump won't ever get the bilge DRY. The water in the hose will always run back, and it's not recommended to put a check valve in. A suction pump will pump it totally dry since the pump itself sits up out of the bilge.

Not a major thing, but something to be aware of.

Personally, I have a decent sized centrifugal, and a Whale Gusher 10 back up.