Refinishing/restoring bronze portlights

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Scott
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Refinishing/restoring bronze portlights

Post by Scott »

Hi, I am looking for some advise on the best (read easiest) method to restore the original bronze portlights on my Triton. I had heard that Muriatic acid was good for getting things started, but would love to hear from those of you that have sucessfully accomplished this laborious task to satisfactory results. Thanks, Scott #227
Have recently purchased Pearson Triton which I will be restoring over the coming months/years!
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Re: Refinishing/restoring bronze portlights

Post by CharlieJ »

we use lemon juice
Tallystick
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Nostalgia
Boat Type: Pearson Triton Yawl

Post by Tallystick »

I used muriatic acid to get rid of the chrome remnants. Then used a brass wires brush, followed by Wright's copper cream applied with a toothbrush. Also used a stainless wire wheel with fine bristles in a few places where the chrome was stubborn.
Scott
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Scott »

thanks for the replies. the muriatic acid and steel wool seem to be getting things to a point of respectability !
Scott
Have recently purchased Pearson Triton which I will be restoring over the coming months/years!
Paulus
Boat Name: Guillemot
Boat Type: Mariner Ketch

Post by Paulus »

Don't use steel wool - get brass wool. The steel wool will get stuck in crevices and cracks and cause rust stains. Don't ask me how I know.
Tallystick
Boat Name: Nostalgia
Boat Type: Pearson Triton Yawl

Post by Tallystick »

Some of the chrome can be too tightly adhered to be removed with brass wool or a brass brush. Like Paulus said, steel wools is bad because it can leave rust stains. Use a stainless wire brush for the difficult chrome. Muriatic acid should loosen it up enough that it will flake off. I also used a small file in a few places. If you do end up getting some rust stains, they can be easily removed with oxalic acid, which is sold at hardware stores (sometimes called wood bleach).
rescuesailor
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: SV Christina Louise
Boat Type: True North 34

Post by rescuesailor »

I use Lime-Away first. Then I use a brass wire wheel. I finish using Prism Polish. I love the stuff. The shine is unbelievable.
David