Head rim height

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Lloyd
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Ella Marie
Boat Type: Bristol 27

Head rim height

Post by Lloyd »

I am look at lowering the head a little. Sitting on it (wife) leaves feet dangling in the air. At six feet I am not comfortable at all on it. The thing is just sitting up to high. My question is. Is it a problem to have the top of the rim below the water line? I figure the reason it sits so high now is to have the rim above the water line when the boat is just sitting. What say you?
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Re: Head rim height

Post by Ric in Richmond »

How about a nice little foot board you can drop into place when the need arises? Seems a whole lot easier.

And my guess is that the head is above the waterline.
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

If the rim is below the waterline, you MUST keep the intake seacock closed, otherwise it'll flood over. I speak from experience.

I'd go with Ric's suggestion- whole lot less hassle.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Very few boats have the rim high for lack of planning or thought for short people. I would go with Ric's suggestion for safety reasons as well as being easier. I try to remember to close my seacocks when I leave the boat, but I find I forget sometimes.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Paulus
Boat Name: Guillemot
Boat Type: Mariner Ketch

Post by Paulus »

As others eluded to, keep the rim above the anticipated water line at rest. I have gotten onto my boat after a few days away and have found the head filled to the rim on several occasions, after I forgot to close the intake, just as you will forget.

Mine is within about 1/2" of the waterline and it just does the job preventing the bilge from filling up.

Check to see where the rim is now...
Ric in Richmond

Paulus wrote:As others eluded to, keep the rim above the anticipated water line at rest. I have gotten onto my boat after a few days away and have found the head filled to the rim on several occasions, after I forgot to close the intake, just as you will forget.

Mine is within about 1/2" of the waterline and it just does the job preventing the bilge from filling up.

Check to see where the rim is now...
That had to be frightening!!!

Then if the deck/cockpit scuppers get clogged and it rains or you get a late snow and she sits down on her water lines and.....glug glug glug.....she is at the bottom.

Having a head below the waterline would be a nightmare for me.

I think you build the step. Heck do it right and make it flip top and keep the plunger and scrubber in it.

Or this might work.

http://www.amazon.com/Medela-61082-Nurs ... B000056JIH
Ric Bergstrom

Archived old blog:

Lloyd
Boat Name: Ella Marie
Boat Type: Bristol 27

Post by Lloyd »

Thanks all for your thoughts. I will look at Ric's idea and see if I can work something like that in.
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
mitiempo
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Mi Tiempo
Boat Type: Canadian Sailcraft CS27

Post by mitiempo »

With an anti siphon loop the bowl will not flood, below the waterline or not. All heads should have one. If it is the Jabsco type the loop installs between the pump and the bowl.
Many heads are below the waterline.
Ric in Richmond

Very good point about the anti syphon loop. Many heads also go under the waterline at certain angles of heel. BUT you get to trust that the little duckbill valve always stays clear, never gets crusty stuff in it and doesn't start a syphon.

If I have the option to keep the bowl above the waterline I am doing it if at all possible.
Ric Bergstrom

Archived old blog:

Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Ric in Richmond wrote:Very good point about the anti syphon loop. Many heads also go under the waterline at certain angles of heel. BUT you get to trust that the little duckbill valve always stays clear, never gets crusty stuff in it and doesn't start a syphon.

If I have the option to keep the bowl above the waterline I am doing it if at all possible.
Yup, redundancy for things like this is always good.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

and it's so simple to just keep the seacock closed except when in use. failsafe, always. And they need to be exercised once in awhile anyway, so double duty.