Bootstripe repainting/relocation

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Brodie
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Starry Night
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 30

Bootstripe repainting/relocation

Post by Brodie »

My 1984 Sea Sprite 30 sits relatively low and also quite down by the bow when at rest, which causes fouling of the bootstripe forward and just bothers me because it looks weird. The bootstripe itself is gelcoat and is quite faded, so I would like to repaint it. My debate is whether I repaint it in its current location, which is logistically much simpler, or raise it a few inches. The other question is whether to, and how to get the boat to float more level - I know with a bunch of people in the cockpit she probably floats more appropriately (ie not down by the stern), but I usually sail alone, and I weigh basically nothing compared to the boat, and I can feel the bow not want to "lift" to the waves sometimes. There is little extra weight in the bow - anchor is in the stern locker, rode is not chain, forward water tank is empty. I have seen pics of other SS30's sitting the same way so I don't think it's something weird with my boat. I'm really tempted to add some weight to the stern locker even though that is generally not a good thing.

here are some pics of how the boat floats at the mooring.... and to summarize my ramblings - ballast the stern or not? and repaint the bootstripe where it is or higher?
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Re: Bootstripe repainting/relocation

Post by Skipper599 »

Brodie, I think your boat sits very close to its DWL and you are probably the only one that sees it as not quite perfect. That is one beautiful boat. I myself would not be worrying about the small difference unless it affects her sailing performance. Having said that, it is your boat and I guess you'll do whatever it takes to satisfy your personal standards if you cannot live with the way it is.

If you feel you must balance her, I would keep the bootstripe in its original position and re-ballast her with additional weight in the aft compartment. . . . Bob T.
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: Bootstripe repainting/relocation

Post by Hirilondë »

I could not live with growth on the boot stripe either. It amazes me how many boats have this. It is like exposed foundation on a house. So many raise their gardens to cover it and start growth and rot in the bottom of the siding in their vain attempt to cover up the concrete. I think it is this tendency to hate exposed bottom paint that has caused so many boot stripes to be too close to the water.

When you are sailing you are virtually always healed to some point and no one can see how well placed your boot stripe is. I think water lines should be set for the boat as she sits at the mooring. Seeing 2 or 3 inches of bottom paint doesn't bother me at all. Seeing a slime line is down right ugly. I would either take the time to remark your water line and repaint the boot stripe and raise the bottom paint a little or just spend more time cleaning your slime at the mooring. You would lose the white between the boot stripe and bottom paint, but personally I prefer they touch each other any way.

My choice would be to level the boat on the jack stands such that the waterline is 2 inches higher in the bow and the same as is aft. Re mark for a new boot stripe and bottom paint line. Easy for me to say, I don't have to do it.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.