Grungy deck syndrome.

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
TampaBay
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Type: Coronado 15

Grungy deck syndrome.

Post by TampaBay »

I have a dirty deck issue on my C15.

You know the problem, it looks moldy, and grungy, and also maybe some tree sap. I was thinking about trying to clean it up with a pressure washer. Any one know if that might work?
Tallystick
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Nostalgia
Boat Type: Pearson Triton Yawl

Re: Grungy deck syndrome.

Post by Tallystick »

Sounds like my boat when I first bought it. I used a nylon bristle brush to scrub with soapy bleach water. Also used a bleach sprayer to apply the cleaning solution, and let it soak in the worst areas for a few minutes. It really didn't take very long. I'd suggest trying that before you trouble with a pressure washer.
TampaBay

Post by TampaBay »

It's funny. I just noticed that my "rank" on the forum is "deck grunge scrubber."

The pressure washer just sounds like more fun.
Tallystick

Post by Tallystick »

Bleach sprayers are kind of fun. Doesn't have the power of a pressure washer, but you still get to aim and shoot. Pressure washer might work, but I'll bet you still end up having to use a scrub brush.
TampaBay

Post by TampaBay »

I went to Home Depot. and rented a 2000psi gas powered pressure washer (I doubt is was really putting out 2000psi.). I have been thinking about buying one for a long time now, and the deck around the pool needs to be pressured washed also, so instead of buying, I decided to rent and see if I liked it.

The pressure washer was great. Years of sun baked grunge, sprayed away with little effort. I picked up a 9 dollar sheet of plastic to protect the clean boat, for now. The tarps are very expensive, and of unknown quality. On top of that, the deck around the pool, and the patio furniture, look much nicer.

I took a couple of "before" pictures, but the after shots must wait because I worked until the sun went down. I will post those on my thread in the Projects section.

Because the deck is white, I might end up using a bleach solution. Is bleach safe on gel coat?
Tallystick

Post by Tallystick »

Yeah, it's definitely safe to use occasionally, but you're probably better off using something gentler for maintenance cleaning once you kill the mold & mildew.