Whisker pole repair

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Challenger949L
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: ESPADON Kittiwake
Boat Type: Sabre 28, Alden Challenger

Whisker pole repair

Post by Challenger949L »

The twist lock mechanism in my forspar whisker pole has split into two parts. One of these pieces is stuck in the pole about 18 in down. Does anyone hve any idea how I might go about removing it?
Thanks,
Jimmy Small
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Re: Whisker pole repair

Post by Quetzalsailor »

I have a Forespar whisker pole, the three-part seventeen-footer, that I trash-picked. It was corroded to immovable. I was able to force it apart and clean it up. Forespar gave me the replacement rubber locking bits when I told the rep about it at the Annap. Boat Show several years ago.

If I recall correctly, the rubber bits are mounted to the end of the inner tube with a bolt and twisting the tube tightens the bolt and squeezes the rubber bit outwards against the outer tube.

So, if yours is the same, what do you see when you shine a light at it? I think you'd see the rubber bit and either the bolt or a hole where the bolt was in its center. If so, you should be able to invent a puller that you could stick through the hole and hook the rubber out or a puller which threaded onto the bolt and pull the rubber out. One alternate might be to thread something into the hole, say a lag screw affixed into the end of a puller. Another might be to remove the fitting at the other end and drive the offending bits out with a bit of pipe or 2" x 2".

You can destroy/damage/lubricate/solve the rubber bit with paint thinner, laquer thinner or similar. Consider that this would likely be quite dangerous/explosive. Do it cautiously outdoors.