West Coast Triton Stern Tube Inside and Outside Diameters

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Triton106
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

West Coast Triton Stern Tube Inside and Outside Diameters

Post by Triton106 »

As some of you may know from my posting in Projects that I am repowering my Triton (#106) with a Yanmar 2GM20 and plan to replace cutless bearing, stuffing box hose, and coupling at the same time. Since the boat is in the water now I can't measure the stern tube to confirm the inside diameter. I
plan to reuse the prop shaft which is 7/8". However, 7/8" cutless bearings come with three outside diameters. All east coast Triton sources I find on the web tells me that the stern tube inside diameter is 1-3/8". However, I would like to confirm if west coast tritons also have the same diameter before I place the order which I need to do before hauling the boat out.

I also read on Tim's and Nathan's rebuilding logs that the east coast Triton stern tubes have outside diameter smaller than the standard stuffing box outside diameter (1-3/4") for 7/8" shafts. In Tim's case the stern tube outside diameter is 1-1/2. Do west coast Tritons have that problem too?

Thanks very in advance for your help!
Ray D. Chang
Triton 106 in Berkeley, CA
Triton106
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Re: West Coast Triton Stern Tube Inside and Outside Diameter

Post by Triton106 »

I have confirmations from two west coast Tritons, #150 and #259, that the stern tube inside diameter is 1-3/8". I have not haulled out Triton106 yet and will confirm it (or report a different size).
Ray D. Chang
Triton 106 in Berkeley, CA