Varnish issues

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Brodie
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Starry Night
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 30

Varnish issues

Post by Brodie »

Has anyone ever gotten a "bad" can of varnish? Story....So over the winter I've been doing a bunch of in-house projects, including finishing a variety of pieces of furniture. One is a "teak" (i.e. Malaysian hardwood) chair that I got at the Mill Store (one of my favorite and most dangerous spots to spend an afternoon!). This is the second such chair I have purchased, the first I use as my desk chair, and has 4 or 5 coats of gloss varnish on it and looks great. The new chair got the same treatment, with the same varnish that I've always used - Interlux Captain's 1015. New can bought just for this winter. Sanding between coats with 220, foam brushes, same routine I always do. For some reason on this particular chair I cannot get the finish smooth nor does it have anywhere near the shine or "build", even after 6 coats, that the other chair does with less coats. Wondering if I should buy another can? Or just keep working at it? I really don't feel the need to lavish 10 coats of varnish on a $50 chair, but it just doesn't look good. I tried to take pics but it looks fine in the pictures!
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Re: Varnish issues

Post by earlylight »

Brodie,

Are you talking about Pettit Captains Varnish or Interlux Schooner? I used to use Pettit Captains Varnish until several years ago when I purchased a quart at West Marine. I applied a coat to my entire cabin sole in 78 degree weather with low humidity and it NEVER dried. So after a full week I had to strip the entire sole again. I returned the varnish to West and they replaced it with another new can. I tried that can on a small scrap of teak and had similar results. I then switched to Interlux Schooner and have been a happy camper ever since.
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
Brodie
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Starry Night
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 30

Post by Brodie »

You know, when I was writing this I was 98% sure I had it right....I always get Pettit and Interlux mixed up....same goes for bottom paint.

It is Captain's 1015, whatever brand that is....and I've used it for years and never had a problem until now.
CalebD
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Odalisque
Boat Type: Tartan 27'

Post by CalebD »

Captains 1015 is branded Zspar but made by Pettit: http://www.iboats.com/Captain-s-Varnish ... _id.135779
The paint companies tend to alter their formulations without asking our permission. I'll bet that is what is going on.
Have you ever tried "Le Tonkinoise varnish? I haven't but the crowd over at the WBF (wooden boat forum) seems to swear by this stuff: http://www.tarsmell.com/letonkinois_original.html
From what I gather it is more of an old time formula (fewer modern additives) so perhaps it is less likely that they would change the formula on you.
danielguiod
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: HOKAHEY
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by danielguiod »

I second Le Tonkinois, it is easy to use and is all natural. I love the color of the finish. Do the research before you buy, it is expensive.