How to fuel and Ankerlickt oil lamp?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
jetboy52
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Miss Nettie
Boat Type: Alberg 37

How to fuel and Ankerlickt oil lamp?

Post by jetboy52 »

I have an old ankerlickt oil lamp that came with my alberg 37. I am trying to get it working and I have two problems. First, I can't figure out how to fill it with oil. The only way seems to be removing the wick and putting the oil down the tube that the wick is in, but that doesn't seem right because the tube is so small. Second, the wick is dried out and stuck. I have put some kerosene down the tube to try to get the wick moist and hopefully I can remove it then. Also, what kind of fuel works best in this lamp? I have attached two photos.
Attachments
ankerlicht 2.jpg
ankerlicht 1.jpg
Tallystick
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Nostalgia
Boat Type: Pearson Triton Yawl

Re: How to fuel and Ankerlickt oil lamp?

Post by Tallystick »

Does the burner unscrew from the base? It may be stuck on there pretty good. You might need to tap on threaded area with something soft like a rubber hose, or heat with a propane torch (make sure much fuel isn't in the lamp first) to get it loose.

I use kerosene in similar lamps, but mine have separate fill ports. Lamp oil might burn a bit cleaner, but it's a 2-3X the price.
Carl-A259
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Romper
Boat Type: Pearson Triton hull705

Post by Carl-A259 »

Find any place that's looks like it may be a joint and soak the crap out of it for several days with PB Blaster or Kroil penetrating oil or even Marvel mystery oil. I'm positive you don't refill at the wick. My guess is below the wick and flame adjustment is where it unscrews to refill, don't get in a hurry let the Pen. oil work to loosen.
brob76
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Auriga
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by brob76 »

I have this same lamp. The burner unscrews from the base.
s/v Faith
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: s/v 'Faith'
Boat Type: 1964 Pearson Ariel (#226)

Post by s/v Faith »

It is not possible to refuel this lamp.

You are to either discard it, or keep it for decoration.

I am a recycle, so you can do your part to save the planet by simply mailing it to me and I will take care of it for you. No, there is no need to thank me, I am just doing my part to save the planet.... shoot me a PM and I will give you the address you can ship it to.

;)
1964 Pearson Ariel #226
'Faith' (the Triton's little sister)

Referred by;

www.sailfar.net

and

www.pearsonariel.org
Tallystick
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Nostalgia
Boat Type: Pearson Triton Yawl

Post by Tallystick »

Penetrating oil may work if there isn't too much corrosion. If the pieces are corroded together you will need either heat or vibration to break it loose.

If it comes down to it, you can use vice grips to wrench off the burner. The burners are the easiest part to find replacements. There are probably burner replacements on ebay right now.
jetboy52
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Miss Nettie
Boat Type: Alberg 37

Post by jetboy52 »

Thanks to brob76 for this photo which answers my question. I will now soak the joint in penetrating oil and see if I can remove the burner.
Attachments
ankerlict lamp fill 1-19-12.jpg