C&C Corvette

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
tikvah59
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Emily Hope
Boat Type: Nimble 30' yawl

C&C Corvette

Post by tikvah59 »

Hi Folks,

This probably could have gone in one of several other forums, but I had to choose one . . .

I'm considering the purchase of a 31' C&C Corvette built in 1969. The owner has done a bunch of work like recoring the side decks and replacing the rudder (the original was aluminum??). It has a Westerbeke 20B diesel and is in pretty good (mostly original) shape inside. Anyone have experience with one of these boats?
corvette 113 sm.jpg
Thanks,
Mark
Emily Hope
Nimble 30' yawl
tikvah59
Master Varnisher

Re: C&C Corvette

Post by tikvah59 »

Here are two more shots, showing the owner's other boat: a Luders 33.
corvette 113 sm 2.jpg
corvette sm 3.jpg
Mark
Emily Hope
Nimble 30' yawl
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Mark,

I don't know much about the Corvette, but did you notice we just had a fairly long "ID this boat" thread a couple of days ago, wherein the boat turned out to be a Corvette? Funny coincidence!

Which boat is the Luders 33? I only know the "plastic classic" Allied Luders 33, but is that racy thing to port of the Corvette a different form of Luders 33? (Maybe because it has a 33' waterline?)

Some of the later C & C's had balsa-cored hulls, but I don't think the Corvette did (not sure though). I have helped people work on a few later C & C's in the Great Lakes, and one thing I noticed is that a few of the parts were slightly "freshwaterish" as compared to Tritons, etc. By that I mean aluminum extrusions for port frames and that sort of thing (that may not apply to the Corvette either). That might be something to look for if it's a saltwater boat. C & C's were built in the Great Lakes so there are quite a few there.

They are nice looking boats!

Rachel
tikvah59
Master Varnisher

Post by tikvah59 »

Yah, I missed that "ID this boat" thread. I'm pretty sure he called the boat to port a Luders 33 - it was early 20'th century pure racing boat. He probably told me more about it but I was a bit distracted . . . Funny story: I work at a middle school west of Boston, MA. We had a wicked Northeaster this past the weekend, with snow knocking out power to over 1 million homes. I was going to take a day on Tuesday of this past week to go to Long Island to see this boat. But we all got a day off Monday because there was no power in my school! We had school Tuesday with no power but don't ask about that. Anyway, the weather on Monday was gorgeous for the ferry across the Sound and viewing the boat. Kinda reminded me of why I'm involved in this crazy hobby . . .

Mark
Emily Hope
Nimble 30' yawl
Case
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Case »

I'm not 100% certain but I do recall reading that some Corvettes had aluminum rudders. It was a thing in the 1960s. Went out of style probably due to corrosion problems. Aluminum is not a bad thing but it has to be properly cared for with the right zincs and most people did not do that. The centerboard was steel covered with fiberglass. Ask about that because when I read that information, I worried about the centerboard being swollen from internal rust. But I never found anything online about centerboard problems (other than pennants). So maybe its not a big deal but do ask about it.

These C&C Corvettes are nice sailboats. Higher SA/D than usual for the type and despite the shoal 3'3" draft, the boat has a 48% ballast ratio. It will still be tender but less than most centerboarders of similar type. The one you looked at looks like its well cared for. Somebody who would own a wooden Luders tend to be up on top with maintenance.

- Case
Shark
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Scoot
Boat Type: Shark 24

Post by Shark »

Case wrote:The centerboard was steel covered with fiberglass. Ask about that because when I read that information, I worried about the centerboard being swollen from internal rust. But I never found anything online about centerboard problems (other than pennants). So maybe its not a big deal but do ask about it.
I can't speak from personal experience but two people at my club, fresh water, sail Corvettes and both have had issues with their centreboards such as jamming in the slot due to zebra mussels and lifting mechanism problems. These boards are very heavy and difficult to service. I also read somewhere that the boats have a tendency to broach in heavy air while under spinnaker because the rudder is quite small and not too deep.

I really love the look of these boats too but unless I needed the shallow draft I would look at other similar boats like the Redwing 30 for example.
Lyman
Shark 24
http://www.shark24.ca
tikvah59
Master Varnisher

Post by tikvah59 »

Rachel, when I mentioned the boat had a new rudder I neglected to say that it is a bronze frame with a fiberglass shell and a foam core. The ports are all new. The hull is not cored, it is rather thick, solid, hand-laid fiberglass. Shark, the centerboard does concern me some, but I've talked with several owners of boats with centerboards at my boat club and it seems like the issues are manageable. The centerboard was recently removed, sandblasted and covered with epoxy. I don't expect to be flying a spinnaker in heavy air - the boat doesn't even have a chute at the moment, and I'm not in a hurry to get one.

Case, the current owner is definitely a wooden boat enthusiast. He recently sold a 49' wooden yawl and is selling the Corvette in part because it is "plastic" and too small for his taste. This boat is indeed well maintained and in very good shape for a 42-year-old boat.

Survey is next Friday. I'll keep you all posted.

Mark
Emily Hope
Nimble 30' yawl
LazyGuy
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Re: The Luders along side the C&C Corvette

Post by LazyGuy »

The other boat is either a Luders 24 or 27 (water line length) 38 or 40' boat. I initially thought it was a Luders 16 but it is too long so I did a search. The Luders 33 is 33' LOA glass boat (classic plastic) with moderate overhangs and sleeps six. There are a couple of 24s for sale on yacht world.
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.