Another boat ID

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
David VanDenburgh
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Ariel
Boat Type: Cape Dory 36

Another boat ID

Post by David VanDenburgh »

I've been eyeballing this number at the local marina. I'm sure someone "looks after" her, but she sure spends a lot of time alone. She's probably an easy ID, but I'm not sure what she is. I'm guessing a Bristol of some sort. She has a full keel with cutaway forefoot, an inboard engine, and she's about 30' or so.

Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: Another boat ID

Post by Rachel »

Hmmm... I don't think it would be a Bristol because if so, the cove stripe should have a sort of arrowhead shape at the bow, and this one looks straight. Also, something about the rounded coach-roof corners doesn't look quite right.

Then I was wondering if it might be a Sea Sprite. The SS30 has a slightly offset companionway, the rounded corners, and the molded winch stands.... but I'm not sure the ports look right (the elongated one aft), and ditto for the bow pulpit with a central leg. (Unless there were variations over the years - I'm not that familiar with Sea Sprites.)

Interesting!
LazyGuy
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

It is not a SS 30, The 28 had 3 opening ports, the 30 had 4 and the 34 had either 2 or 3 opening ports and two fixed. Otherwise, I do not have a clue to what it is.
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I thought it looked like this had four (one elongated and three regular), but then the SS 30's I saw - although they did have four ports - did not have the elongated one.

Could we have more photos when you get a chance?
David VanDenburgh

Rachel wrote:I thought it looked like this had four (one elongated and three regular), but then the SS 30's I saw - although they did have four ports - did not have the elongated one.

Could we have more photos when you get a chance?
So it is a tough one? I poked around a bit looking for a HIN, but couldn't find anything. I'll snap a few more photos the next time I'm in the area. She's a pretty little boat, and she's been on the hard for a few years now. It looks like someone put a new garbage bag over the pedestal, so maybe she's got family.

David
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

David VanDenburgh wrote:It looks like someone put a new garbage bag over the pedestal, so maybe she's got family.
Good to know she's being looked after ;)

(Not that I've never neglected a boat but that just struck me funny.)
Brodie
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Starry Night
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 30

Post by Brodie »

Definitely not either a SS30 or a 28. I have no idea what the boat is either. Almost looks like a keel centerboard based on the shallow keel? For a second I thought C&C Redwing but that is a fin keel boat with 3 ports, not 4. Curious to see what the answer is to this one...

For comparison, here are a couple views of my Sea Sprite 30..
LazyGuy
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

Not meaning to thread hijack but that is a beautiful 30. In many ways, the 30 is the prettiest of the line. (not counting the 23 of course) There were fewer 30s built than any other and I never understood why. While the 28 is nice, the cabin is just a spot too tall and she is a spot too wide for the length. Particularly for Bill Luders. He always stuck to his ratios.

Dennis
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I noticed that too about it looking a bit "low to the ground" for a typical 30-er, unless it's a centerboarder.
David VanDenburgh

LazyGuy wrote:Not meaning to thread hijack but that is a beautiful 30. In many ways, the 30 is the prettiest of the line. (not counting the 23 of course) There were fewer 30s built than any other and I never understood why. While the 28 is nice, the cabin is just a spot too tall and she is a spot too wide for the length. Particularly for Bill Luders. He always stuck to his ratios.

Dennis
Hijack away. I love seeing Brodie's SS30. Gorgeous boat.
David VanDenburgh

Rachel wrote:I noticed that too about it looking a bit "low to the ground" for a typical 30-er, unless it's a centerboarder.
I'll take a closer look and get a bunch of pics.
Case

Post by Case »

The first time I saw the pictures, I immediately thought C&C Redwing but its too low to the ground and the cockpit details are all wrong. Portlights doesn't quite look right, either. C&C Corvette is more likely but some details are still a bit off. I'll need better pictures to know better. Just so people know, the C&C Corvette is a centerboarder and is 31' long. Many people think C&C as these sailboats with aluminum toe rails and higher freeboard but C&C did build "CCA" type sailboats in the late 1960s. The Redwing and Corvette are one of these early C&Cs.

- Case
Brodie
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Starry Night
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 30

Post by Brodie »

C&C Corvette is a centerboarder and is 31' long
C&C Corvette is actually what I was thinking of when I said Redwing...I knew there was another similar C&C boat but couldn't think of it. From the pics I just looked at online that just might be what the mystery boat is.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

The Corvette does look like a pretty good match-up. Looks like a successful ID :)

A lot of the details look right: The ports (at least on certain years), the winch stands, the companionway offset, the bow pulpit with stem-mounted central leg, the interesting partial-length perforated toe-rails (on a couple of them, anyway), the way the cove-stripe ends at the bow, the low stance/centerboard, and of course it doesn't hurt that the Great Lakes have a high proportion of C&C boats - since they were made there.

In this photo even though the bow pulpit no longer comes down to a central forward point, you can still see the (disused) receiving part of it on the stem fitting:

David VanDenburgh

Looks like you guys/gals got it (not that I ever had any doubt). Tomorrow's supposed to be a nice day. Perhaps I can snap some more pictures then.

Thanks for the fun!
David VanDenburgh

I finally got back to the marina to snap a few more pictures. Sorry they're not that great. It's hard to get a good look.

I'm pretty sure she's been sitting at that yard for at least a couple of years. I must admit I'm a little curious about her story and situation.
Case

Post by Case »

That's a sad sight. The top drop board is out. So I bet this sailboat has water damage inside.

I usually leave the top drop board out on my sailboat during the summers. Not a single drop gets into the boat! But its on a mooring, not on land...

That sailboat is definitely a C&C Corvette. My guess was right on. The other pictures, I wasn't sure.

- Case
Skipper599
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Post by Skipper599 »

Case wrote:That's a sad sight. The top drop board is out. So I bet this sailboat has water damage inside.

- Case
Are you sure about that? It looks more to me like the top board is a piece of acrylic which only gives the appearance of having no board. I have the same on my boat although I "framed" my acrylic top board. And yes, I concur with the id as a C&C Corvette.
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Case

Post by Case »

I hope you're right. I can't tell from the photographs.

- Case
David VanDenburgh

Case wrote:I hope you're right. I can't tell from the photographs.

- Case
Yep, it's definitely a piece of acrylic. And I called the yard to ask about her status. I was assured that the owner is "up to date with payment." From the yard's perspective, of course, that's a "cared for" boat. It'd be great to see her get back on the water.