ElectricConversion-Revisit

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
TritonSean
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Jenny Marie, #308
Boat Type: 1963 Pearson Triton

ElectricConversion-Revisit

Post by TritonSean »

Still seriously considering converting from my old Universal diesel to electric at some point.
I have read many of the threads here which are helpful.

My boatyard neighbour (Alberg 30) seems pleased with his.

I wonder how cold weather will affect the battery bank, will they have to be removed for winter storage ?

anyone out there know ?

Sean
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: ElectricConversion-Revisit

Post by Hirilondë »

I leave my batteries on the boat over the winter, but I charge them every couple months. I think more than temperature the life of the battery is affected by being over-discharged.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Carl-A259
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Romper
Boat Type: Pearson Triton hull705

Post by Carl-A259 »

Go to pearsonariel.org , search for the commander 227 thread, he did an electric conversion and posted much of the swap. It's a long thread so have some time. He is also in MN so he knows some things about cold weather storage. Carl
Mark F
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Mark F »

Hi Sean,

I agree with Hirilonde that the most important issue is keeping the (lead acid) batteries charged over a long period (winter). If you use lithium-ion it's not as critical to keep them at 100 % charge. They are actually happier at a lower charge for storage. Electric propulsion for small (35' and smaller) sailboat can be a great improvement. It depends how you use the boat. If you are making multi day passages and motoring most of the time EP might not be a good choice. If you are cruising and generally sail or daysail/overnight and have access to electricity, you can't beat EP.

Here are a few other sources for info to add to Carl's link;

http://biankablog.blogspot.com/ (you have to search around on this site but there is a wealth of information if you take the time)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricb ... ssages?o=1 (an ongoing forum for marine EP)

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchan ... Ericson-27 (some posts I put together on the Ericson Yatchs web site.)

Mark