Dinghy identification

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Crazer
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Clio
Boat Type: Rhodes Swiftsure 33

Dinghy identification

Post by Crazer »

My Triton came with what I am told is a Dyer dinghy, around 8' which would make it a Dyer "Midget". Problem is, it doesn't look quite right for a Dyer. It's nicely rounded, and though it has about the right shape in plan and profile, but it lacks the hard chines characteristic of the Dyers. No matter, it's still a dinghy. It comes with a centerboard, broken rudder and tiller, and a pair of sails, but it lacks a mast. So, does anyone have any idea what the make of this dinghy might be? I say it's around 8 feet, but it's probably closer to 7' 6", maybe even less. I could probably just make a mast based on the sails I have, but I'm not very confident in my ability to just wing it. I have a photo, but the forum won't let me upload it and I have absolutely no patience for messing around and trying to resize it (current technology should allow resize the photo automatically, but whatever)
As eccentric as my boat.

Rhodes Swiftsure 33
SV Clio
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: Dinghy identification

Post by Rachel »

Crazer wrote:So, does anyone have any idea what the make of this dinghy might be? ... I have a photo, but the forum won't let me upload it and I have absolutely no patience for messing around and trying to resize it (current technology should allow resize the photo automatically, but whatever)
A photo would be very helpful. However, Pearson did make a dinghy for awhile that some Triton owners might have purchased. I wonder if it might be one of those, but I can't remember what type of bow it had, offhand.

Edited to add:
Okay, I took a few moments to look it up, and the dinghy I'm thinking of is the Pearson Plebe. Here is a copy of an ad, and info from Sailboat Data:
plebe ad.jpg
plebe data.jpg
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=6772

Rachel
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Howmar Hauler? (I've also heard it called a "Howmet Hauler")

Solid tank seats fore and aft, open seat mid?
Crazer
Topside Painter

Post by Crazer »

The Pearson Plebe looks about right. It has a rounded bottom like that instead of the hard chines. I'll see if I can't get some pictures resized and posted.
As eccentric as my boat.

Rhodes Swiftsure 33
SV Clio
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

That would be nice - I was wondering how the dinghy ID turned out. Definitely modern to upload photos ;)

Rachel
Crazer
Topside Painter

Post by Crazer »

Well finally got around to cropping the best photo I have of the dinghy. It's not very clear, and it's upside down, but it clearly shows that it's quite round, as opposed to the hard chines found on the Dyer brand and others.
Attachments
Dinghy.jpg
As eccentric as my boat.

Rhodes Swiftsure 33
SV Clio