Dust in Awlgrip

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Ryan
Skilled Systems Installer

Dust in Awlgrip

Post by Ryan »

For those of you that have done an Awlgrip roll and tip job in less than perfect environments, was some amount of dust in the topcoats just something that you had to live with? I just finished my second topcoat on the deck, and was positively obsessive about cleaning the boat before applying the second coat. The first coat had an amount of dust l found unacceptable, so after wet sanding the first coat, I washed the decks with alcohol followed by an Awlgrip solvent wash and then a tack rag immediately before laying on the paint. The result after 12 hours is a LOT better, and likely good enough that I can live with it if I found out that some amount of dust in the otherwise great finish is the norm for jobs done in anything less than a clean room. I'm just not sure how I could possibly get the boat or environment any better than it is now. What has been everyone else's experience?
LazyGuy
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Re: Dust in Awlgrip

Post by LazyGuy »

I contacted Interlux for the same reason doing the decks with Perfection. I asked if there was any thing I could do like 0000 steel wool and butcher's wax on varnish to take off the dust and replace it with protection. They explained that I was not the first person to ask but that anything you do will decrease the protection of the paint. Best thing is just to live with it.

Outside of a perfect environment, you will not get a perfect paint job.
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.