Cabin Heater

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Cabin Heater

Post by Skipper599 »

I'm about ready to install a propane cabin heater and the thought of cutting a large hole in my cabin roof scares me more than drilling a hole in the hull. Any advice from those of you that have done this?
It will be located on the main bulkhead on the port side of center. I'm sure installation instructions will provide warnings about clearances for heat etc.
How do I decide the correct location? - Should it be as far to the outside as possible? eg: closer to the cabin side?
Are there any other things I should be thinking about?
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: Cabin Heater

Post by Rachel »

This is probably obvious, but I would want to see how having a chimney on deck would fit with the various sailing operations there. For example, one boat I've sailed that has a cabin heater had the chimney go up at an angle, because if it had exited straight above the heater it would have made working at the mast very awkward.

Another thing is to think about where heat will go when it exits the chimney. i.e. will it be close to sailcovers, etc.

Rachel
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

OK, thanks for those responses so far, I guess I could have been a little more specific with my original post. The heater in question is a Dickinson "Newport" P9000 Propane Heater/Fireplace.

Rachel, I've tried to bring all halliard lines and sheets to the cockpit so hopefully, there shouldn't be too much work at the mast.

I've just dug out the 15pg. instruction pamphlet. I see it uses a 3" S.S. flex pipe with a smaller inner flexible pipe. This allows outside air to be drawn in through the outer pipe while expelling exhaust through the inner flex pipe. The deck fitting appears to be something that basically sits very low on the cabin top.
I haven't read all the instructions yet, but will occupy some time this pm to inform myself on this heater.

As well, I plan to install a pair of dorade vents in the same vicinity. should these bring air into the forward cabin? This would place the vents ahead of the heater exhaust which seems about right to me.

The main boom will be 24" above the cabin top so there should be no problem with heat damage. I shall put a tri-leg guard over the exhaust to prevent sheets from dragging over the hot outlet. We would not be using the heater whilst sailing anyway!

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Okay, I think that heater makes the chimney (really more "exhaust") placement less of an issue on deck. Also, I think it is pretty flexible in its requirements for placement vis-a-vis stove operation. If I remember correctly, the exhaust/intake can even be on a cabinside/vertical surface (not that you will probably want that).
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

You're absolutely correct Rachel ... not that they recomend a side exit, but it is permissable. I have yet to read the instructions in full but, I presume the exhaust temps are somewhat lower than other heaters not utilizing this inner/outer flex pipe system.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'