Color co ordination?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Color co ordination?

Post by Skipper599 »

Ok, most of you have seen pics of my boat and know that it has nice light blue topsides and Off-white gelcoat finish below the DWL. I'm considering applying bottom paint in the not too distant future and I'm wondering what color to choose. Also, whether or not to paint a Boot-stripe and again, what color?

I'm not much good at picking colors myself and was hoping to get some suggestions from all you knowledgeable people out there.

So far, I've thought about White or Gray for the Antifouling paint but then I check the Pettit color chart and find there are no such colors if using the Pettit Horizons product. - All they show are four colors, 1250 Blue, 1350 Green, 1650 Red, and 1850 Black. None of them look exciting to me, Should I be looking at some other product?

I could use the 1250 Blue and then paint a contrasting Boot Stripe??? What say you people?
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Re: Color co ordination?

Post by Figment »

I have the light blue and off-white thing going, myself. Green is the bottom paint for me.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: Color co ordination?

Post by Rachel »

Of course this is completely subjective and personal, but I'll give you my thoughts.

First of all, just to make sure I have the picture straight:
Skipper599 wrote:Ok, most of you have seen pics of my boat and know that it has nice light blue topsides and Off-white gelcoat finish below the DWL.
So your topsides are light blue, and the bottom off-white. But you are going to paint the bottom, so that off-white isn't really in the picture, right? I mean, you could duplicate it, but on the other hand, if you paint over it with another color, it will not show, is what I'm thinking.

So... light blue topsides; bottom whatever color you choose (if I have this right).

Question: Do you already have canvas for the boat? If so, what color? If not, is there a color you already know you would like?

On the boot-stripe: I think they look sharp, especially when there is a strip of topsides color between the bottom paint and the boot, but that can make for more work vis-a-vis keeping the waterline clean. I've seen a few options:

1) Forego the boot altogether and just bring the bottom paint right up to the topsides color.

2) Keep the boot but eliminate the strip of topsides between it and the bottom paint.

3) Paint the boot with bottom paint.

4) Keep the delineating strip but make it a dark beige (i.e. sort of the color of the typical "smudge" there) (this would work better with some color schemes than others).

As far as color choices in bottom paint: What type of bottom paint are you going to be using? (i.e. ablative, hard, etc.)

Rachel