Where to obtain rudder bushings?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Where to obtain rudder bushings?

Post by Skipper599 »

I have a need for three only, Flanged, Nylon (or similar material), bushings for my transom hung rudder. These may have to be custom made because I don't know that they are produced commercially for other purposes.

Is Nylon the best material for this use? If not, what other material should I consider using?

Dimensions of bushings are as follows:

Overall Length = 2-3/16"

Flange O.D. = 1-9/16"

Flange thickness = 3/16"

Bushing body O.D. = 1-1/4"

Bore = 5/8"
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
earlylight
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Re: Where to obtain rudder bushings?

Post by earlylight »

Years ago I had rudder bushings fabricated using Teflon stock. I took the stock which I purchased from a local plastics distributor to the local high school and the evening machine shop adult education class turned them on a lathe. Took them about 1/2 hour to fabricate 2 bushings. I made a $25 donation to the adult education program and both the school and I were happy campers. Just my 2 cents worth.
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

Thanks for this bit of advice Dick, I may be able to do that too as I will have a grandson attending the local trade college in September.

The original nylon bushings have simply died of old age eg: they are brittle and break up at the least contact. They have never been in service or seen the water therfore, I'm very interested in hearing what material other forum members would suggest.

You said you used teflon? I've never seen teflon in block/stock form. How did it hold up for service? Are your pintles/gudgeon bushings submerged?

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
earlylight
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Post by earlylight »

Most plastics distributors will stock Teflon in block, sheet and rod form. I purchased a 1.5 inch diameter piece of rod long enough to fabricate two bushings. They sold it by the pound. The lower pintle and gudgeon were below the waterline and held up for the ensuing 17 years that I owned the boat. I suspect that your original nylon bushings died due to exposure to the ultraviolet rays of the sun. Teflon seems to hold up to the ultraviolet much better than nylon. Good luck with your project.
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
okawbow
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Thursdays' Child
Boat Type: Privateer 26 Schooner

Post by okawbow »

I usually make plastic bushings from black delrin. It seems to hold up to sunlight better than nylon. There are several places to buy delrin. I usually buy small amounts from McMaster-Carr.

If your grandson can't make them, I could get them turned out for you.
Chuck
Chuck
1976 Bristol 24
"Harmony"
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

I'd also turn them for you. You supply materials.
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

I want to choose the best material for the application and you folk have given me Teflon and Delrin to consider. How does one make a good decision when one knows so little of the world of plastics and the various types available?

My sincere thanks to both Chuck and Ric, for your generous offers of help. . . . You do realise of course, that I live on the west coast in BC Canada? . . . That aside, I may yet take one of you up on the offer if i cannot get them made up locally.

Thanks again to all responders, I will report on progress as soon as I make a final decision after finding materials and machine shop.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Skipper599 wrote:I want to choose the best material for the application and you folk have given me Teflon and Delrin to consider. How does one make a good decision when one knows so little of the world of plastics and the various types available?
One thing I would check for (and I can't remember the specifics for these particular materials) is whether they will soak up any water or swell if submerged. Even some plastics will do that. I don't mean they will swell hugely, but perhaps just enough to mess up your tolerances.

Rachel

PS: McMaster-Carr's website has decent materials information, and you can also call them. Perhaps some sort of specialty place like Tap Plastics, too.
okawbow

Post by okawbow »

(Delrin) Acetal Copolymer: Less porous and absorbs less moisture than Delrin® acetal resin, so it retains its shape better in humid environments. It is also wear resistant and offers excellent chemical resistance.
This is the best plastic fomula i've found for bushings. I used to make bushings that we used in a marker factory. The inks are extremely hard on most plastics, but the copoymer delrin was unaffected. I've also used it on boat bushings, especially for mast sheave bushings and even for the sheaves themselves. I've not seen any degradation from sunlight or saltwater. and it is durable, without lubrication.
Teflon would work, but not my choice in a "loaded" bushing because it is softer material.
Chuck
1976 Bristol 24
"Harmony"
triton318
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Dove
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by triton318 »

Chuck or Rick: Could you turn a large masthead sheave out of Delrin? My 1962 Pearson Triton has its original main halyard sheave. It has a groove for a wire halyard. I'm converting to an all-line halyard.
Jay
Dove, Pearson Triton #318
Hayes, VA
Ric in Richmond

I haven't ever tried delrin...it can't be too hard.

Added bonus?

I am in Richmond.

I'll be in hayes tomorrow AM if you want to meet up.
Ric Bergstrom

Archived old blog:

okawbow

Post by okawbow »

I make the sheaves from sheet delrin, by first boring the center hole, then cutting the circle with a bandsaw. I use a mandrel made from a bolt the same size as the center hole. The mandrel has a center hole for support. The delrin blank is slipped over the bolt, the nut tightened, and the bolt chucked in the lathe. a live center is used if needed. The sheave is finished by turning to diameter, then cutting the halyard groove.

Delrin is easy to turn with sharp tools. Stop and clean up the turnings frequently, or they wrap up and are hard to get free.
Chuck
1976 Bristol 24
"Harmony"
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

okawbow wrote:(Delrin) Acetal Copolymer: Less porous and absorbs less moisture than Delrin® acetal resin, so it retains its shape better in humid environments. It is also wear resistant and offers excellent chemical resistance.
Aha, I think that explains something: I had read that Delrin® would absorb water (slowly, over time) and so might not be ideal for this sort of application. But then I've also read where quite a few people made Delrin® bushings for places like the rudder heel, which I always wondered about. I think your observations about the two different types might account for the discrepancy. Thanks!

Rachel
Ric in Richmond

okawbow wrote:I make the sheaves from sheet delrin, by first boring the center hole, then cutting the circle with a bandsaw. I use a mandrel made from a bolt the same size as the center hole. The mandrel has a center hole for support. The delrin blank is slipped over the bolt, the nut tightened, and the bolt chucked in the lathe. a live center is used if needed. The sheave is finished by turning to diameter, then cutting the halyard groove.

Delrin is easy to turn with sharp tools. Stop and clean up the turnings frequently, or they wrap up and are hard to get free.
If you cut a couple relief notches around the circumference almost to the depth of your turning then the long tangles don't appear. They just break up into little pieces.
Ric Bergstrom

Archived old blog: