An Orphan? Guest #219 rubber 12 volt spotlight

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Duncan
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

An Orphan? Guest #219 rubber 12 volt spotlight

Post by Duncan »

I inherited one of these with the boat, and I liked it great until it quit working a couple of years ago.
It's black rubber, it plugs into the cigar lighter socket, and it gives a good beam (which are the three things I like about it).

I'm posting to try and find out:
1) Why it ain't working?
2) How to take it apart?
3) Where to find parts?

Here's what it looks like:

Anyone familiar with them?

I can't seem to find anything helpful (e.g. a manual or a parts listing) on the web. Guest appears to have been absorbed into another company (Marinco), and all I can see on their site is a part number for the bulb (but no supplier for the bulb, nor any manuals nor anything else).

With respect to my question #1 "Why it ain't working?", there was no 'terminal event'. it just worked one day, and then not the next. In particular, it wasn't dropped and the bulb didn't flash the way they often do when they fail. There is no sign of damage, and the bulb still seems clear.

There was some corrosion on the side contact for the cigar lighter plug, but I cleaned that off. (I did notice that the side contact may have been pressed in too flat and corrected that. I haven't tested it since, and I will be happy if that made the difference, but I doubt it).

The switch doesn't click into the "on" or "off" positions, and it wiggles a bit side to side. These things make me suspicious, but I can't remember if they are new, or if "it was always that way'".

I think that I need to take it apart to check the switch and the bulb, which leads us to...

- #2, "How to take it apart?". It appears to have a solid black rubber molding for a housing.
The silver strip (visible in the first and the last photos) tightens on like a hose clamp. It holds the bracket on the back, and also seems to seal the bulb in. The bulb looks like an old-fashioned household spotlight or sealed-beam headlight.

I've removed the silver strip, and tried prying the rubber housing back from the edges of the bulb. This opened up a gap, but nothing seemed to get any freer. I was reluctant to apply any more leverage until I asked for help.

As far as #3, "Where to find parts?", the Marinco # for the bulb ( P-14310-P) seems to be a dead end. So does the marking on the bulb itself (Westinghouse H211 2).

So, that's as far as I've got - anybody know anything about these?

(PS. Not to be duplicitous, but I've cross-posted this at one other forum)
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Re: An Orphan? Guest #219 rubber 12 volt spotlight

Post by Ric in Richmond »

put an ohm meter across the plug terminals. Infinite? then wire broken or bulb blown..then ohm from one terminal of plug to terminal in lamp, then the other leg and keep working it down until you find the break. Put a 9 volt battery across bulb to see if it lights at all...if not probably bulb.

ohm meter and common sense will solve almost any electrical problems. (Thank you years of owning little british cars....)
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Duncan
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Re: An Orphan? Guest #219 rubber 12 volt spotlight

Post by Duncan »

Sounds like a plan, Ric, thanks for the guidance.
The terminals are pretty well sealed, but I think I can jumper them for testing.
Cape Dory 10 & 27