Mainsheet reeving

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Mainsheet reeving

Post by Skipper599 »

Now one would think reeving a mainsheet would be one of the most simple jobs to perform however, I have to admit, i'm at a bit of a loss to know how many variables there might be.

This wil be an "end boom" sheeting using NO track. I want to keep it fairly simple and yet, I just can't figure how to complete the job. I do NOT want to run the mainsheet along the boom to the mast and back to the cockpit. Basically, I want to keep it all at the back end

So far, I've installed 'stand-up' single blocks, one on each corner of the transom. I figured on having a multi sheeve block (w/becket?) on the boom end, and a mainsheet control with jam cleat at centre of the transom rail. . . . or, how about using two mainsheets? - one for each side.

I would be interested in the thoughts of forum members on this subject.
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
pjesus
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Jet Lag
Boat Type: 1982 B-Jet

Re: Mainsheet reeving

Post by pjesus »

I got kinda lost... you say reeving but then talk about sheeting...
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Well, "to reeve" is to pass a line through a block, etc., so he's essentially asking for ideas on setting up the mainsheet (maybe it put you in mind of the similar sounding/looking "reef," where you shorten sail?).

I don't have too much to contribute on main sheeting setups, although here is a photograph of how my Alberg 30 was set up, which did not include a track (sorry I don't have a photograph of the part on the end of the boom). As you can (I hope) see, one end is anchored on the port-side block; the line coiled loosely over the central winch is also the mainsheet.
mainsheet.jpg
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Rachel's Alberg's mainsheet starts at a becket on the port quarter block, goes up and through a double block on the end of the boom, down and through the starboard quarter block, back up and through the other sheave on the boom's double block, down through the port quarter block, to the centerline and around the winch, and presumably to the cleat that you don't need if the winch is self tailing.

Such an arrangement tends to keep the boom from slapping around, at least while it's sheeted over the boat. You don't have any control over boom position (side to side). The mechanical advantage of this system is 1:4 before you count that contributed by the winch. To sheet the main is to leave the tiller and go aft, mount the winch handle and crank, tailing if it's not a self tailer, and cleating. There's quite alot of mainsheet required with the end boom mounting.

Here's Quetzal's. The same four part tackle but no winch (anymore); the cleat is still there. A traveler with stops which can be moved to limit travel. The straps and eyes on the coamings are to keep the coamings from cracking again and to mount traveler control tackles.
IMG_1785r.JPG
1:4 advantage is not enough on our 38 footer! More parts (lines and sheaves) means more mainsheet tangled around one's feet. I think I want one of those fancy, and expensive, Harken setups with the coarse and fine adjustment. Basically, two parts coarse with a jam cleat and, umpti-ump parts fine with a jam cleat. Lots less line on the cockpit floor, but two different pieces to keep track of.
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

My apologies to Pjesus for the confusion of terminology and my thanks to Rachel & Quetzalsailor for your responses.

I guess my confusion and query were spiked by the fact I had considered the sheet end would be coming down from the boom end and not from the quarter block. It all makes sense now.

My mainsail will be approx. 150 sq.ft. and so, I would imagine a 1:4 purchase would be plenty powerful - also, the idea of a ST winch appeals to me - - - although, for the very same reason Rolls Royce. place a tool kit in the trunk of their fine cars, and God put nipples on a man, - - - I will most likely install a cleat too. - - - What is that reason you ask? it's - - - Just in case!

I am still interested in learning more about "twin" mainsheets - something I've read about in some armchair sailor's reading material in the dark distant past. Does anyone have any knowledge of such a system and what would be the benefits or negatives to this type of set-up?

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Just to be sure - in case I somehow muddied this up earlier - "reeving" was a perfectly good term to use for your query, at least to my mind.

But since pjesus is in (from?) Portugal, I figured he might not be a native English speaker, and "reef" and "reeve" might sound the same in his mind.

On the "twin" mainsheet: I think it is often called a "double ended" mainsheet in case that gives you a way to search and find more/different opinions.

Rachel
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

I like discussions that include terminology (reeve) that is not common. Makes for a good lesson for all and the better our vocabularies the more exacting our discussions become.

The primary reason/advantage to double ended sheets is that the sail can be controlled from 2 locations easily. Graham Byrnes of B & B Yacht Design is a big fan of them and designs the set up into his boats. The disadvantage is that it is possible to end up with all the line on one side and then the other side does not work (you can't sheet out). It takes getting used to and requires a little thought in how you leave it when you tack or gybe. Personally, I don't like the set up. I would rather have a central swivel block with cam cleat and take the sheet with me when I tack or gybe.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

Thanks again Rachel - - - double ended mainsheet it is! - - - Terminology is always very important when researching on the 'net.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

To Hirlonde - - - thanks Dave for your input, much appreciated. It's more of a curiosity thing for me. Yes, I can visualise the situation you suggest could occur of having all the sheet on one side. - - - Yikes, there could be an awful lot of sheet line around ones feet too I would imagine - - - one could end up being "knee deep in sheet".

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

mitiempo
Boat Name: Mi Tiempo
Boat Type: Canadian Sailcraft CS27

Post by mitiempo »

I wouldn't think a winch is essential on a main of that size.
pjesus
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Jet Lag
Boat Type: 1982 B-Jet

Post by pjesus »

Rachel wrote:Well, "to reeve" is to pass a line through a block, etc., so he's essentially asking for ideas on setting up the mainsheet (maybe it put you in mind of the similar sounding/looking "reef," where you shorten sail?).
Always learning... thanks a lot Rachel. I was indeed thinking about "reefing". My bad...
Skipper599 wrote:My apologies to Pjesus for the confusion of terminology
Nothing to apologize about, it was my misunderstanding. Glad you're on a good path now :)
Rachel wrote:But since pjesus is in (from?) Portugal, I figured he might not be a native English speaker, and "reef" and "reeve" might sound the same in his mind.
True, I'm from Portugal. I always spell "reef" and "reefing" but since I've seen people use "reeving" for the same purpose I assumed it was that, hence the confusion.

Sorry about that.

Cheers,

Tiago
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

mitiempo wrote:I wouldn't think a winch is essential on a main of that size.
Hmmmmm, you're probably right about that, Hirlonde has the right idea with a central swivel and cam cleat. I'll have to work on that and see how it would fit my set up.'

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

Pinching
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: several
Boat Type: 8 to 41 ft

Post by Pinching »

S-599:

I have a Morgan 24 with a 4:1 mainsheet about same sail area as yours. The boat is centerboard and fairly tender, so the mainsheet doesn't load up that much. I have a traveler but previously had the lightning rig described above by others.

I'd recommend a Harken hexaratchet with cam cleat. It's quite handy at reducing the load when your hand holding the sheet in puffy conditions. The Harken catalog/website has several mainsheet arrangements diagrammed. The hexaratchet will eliminate the need for a winch, in my view. On teh Morgan, I have the hexaratchet fiddle block which gives the 4:1. You could also use a 3:1 for sheeting from the corner.

If you don't want single point sheeting (eg from centerline) or a traveler, I'd at least install the hexaratchet with cam cleat on centerline fed from either corner. Otherwise, it's a pain to sheet when the block and cam cleat is next to your hip on the high side. If the boat can support it, a single point sheet (fiddle block with cam on centerline, fiddle block on boom end) is simplest, cheapest, and most friction free vs the lightning rig.

Come to think of it, I had a 4:1 with hexaratchet on my Luders 33 and had no problems with sheet load.

Good luck!

P
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

Hello Pinching - - - thanks for that advice, I'll look it up and see if it will work for me. It probably will. I'll eventually take some pics to show how I end up.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'