Professional paint job

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
triton503
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Professional paint job

Post by triton503 »

I know everyone here will say, try and do it yourself...and I may. But how much does it cost to have your hull professionally painted. I know there is a lot of prep work involved but does anyone have a round about estimate of the cost? I've always been a little curious. A nice paint job would be nice! Also, does a deck (without non skid) cost the same or is it more because of all the masking and disassembly. Any info would be awesome!
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Re: Professional paint job

Post by earlylight »

The going rate around here (Solomons, MD) ranges from $200 to $250 per foot of overall length to paint the hull from sheer to boot top for a boat requiring average prep. If the prep is extensive, the price goes up. The deck and coach-roof can vary drastically depending on several factors. ie: is there a contrasting color non-skid, amount of hardware that needs to be removed and re bedding etc.

Contact your local yard of choice for an estimate. And good luck!
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

For topsides, I was going to say something getting on toward $10k, which sounds like it's in the ballpark with what earlylight advised. I will say I have seen a large variation, in both price and quality. That's somewhat dependent on location, but not completely.

A deck paint job is noticeably more expensive, because of all the hardware, the non-skid masking (makes it almost like two jobs), the profile details (cockpit, coach roof, toe-rails, ports, etc. are a lot more "feature filled" than a broad, open expanse of topside. Also decks seem more likely to need extra prep work (cracks). Compared to decks, topsides are a breeze on most boats.
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Post by Skipper599 »

Some years ago, I sanded the hull of a 20 foot daysailer I owned at the time, hauled it down to the local bodyshop on its trailer and had it painted for the total sum of $350 - - - I would imagine the prices have risen sharply since then.
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Ryan
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Ryan »

The prices quoted above seem to be in line with what I have seen in the southeast ($200-$300 per foot). While it sounds outrageous at first, I think you'll find that if you do all the prep and application steps required to have a quality finished product (at least with LPU paint), the price will magically seem reasonable! The amount of effort required for a good finish is substantial, but if its worth doing, its worth doing right. Whichever route you go, Good Luck!
Case
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Case »

Look at truck shops that repaint trucks or trailers. They often have huge buildings that can accommodate boats quite easily, unlike auto body shops. I've heard their prices are not marine...

Ask around and find out.

- Case