Interlux Perfection Failure?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
jhenson
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Interlux Perfection Failure?

Post by jhenson »

Hello all,

I am afraid that I must have done something totally stupid, Last week I applied the first coat of Interlux Perfection to the topsides of my boat (about 6 days ago). This first coat went OK, with the exception of a few sags and runs here and there.

I left for a 5 day trip at work, and when I returned I expected the paint to be cured enough to require machine sanding where the errors occurred, followed by hand sanding the remaining sections. However, today I found some areas that were not as well adhered as the surrounding areas. Sanding these areas with 320 grit paper seems to abrade the paint easily off (almost like tiny flakes rather than dust) down through to the primer.

Let me also state that I am using a Porter Cable palm sander rather than my Porter Cable RA 7335.

Thinking that I may have somehow missed an area as I was wiping the hull down with solvent, I decided to remove a large area around it to the primer. However, I have since found about 4 or 5 other relatively small areas where the paint is also not adhering as well as the other parts of the hull. Also, I can pull the paint off the primer in some areas with sticky packing tape. The primer is sound underneath it in every area where I have either sanded through or completely removed the paint. With some difficulty, I can scrape the paint off (using my thumbnail) along the transition of the exposed primer and paint.

How long should this type of two part paint take to fully cure and achieve maximum adhesion? Am I overreacting to paint that is still soft, or should this stuff be better adhered by now.? Could this be a function of using a “vibrating” type sander?

If this is a failure, what might have caused this? The boat was wiped down with the recommended solvent, and rolled/tipped on a fairly low humidity day at about 73 degrees. Very light rain (not in the forecast) fell for about 30 minutes about 14 hours after the paint was applied., but the paint was already dry to the touch and there was definitely no reduction of gloss as the literature suggests.

I really dread the thought of removing the first coat. Removing the remaining paint will be as difficult as the two part paint that was on the hull. Furthermore, I’ll end up taking off enough of the primer that I will expose some of the bare hull in spots. Re-priming, re-fairing, and finishing sanding will take me past this narrow window of opportunity to finish this part of the refit.

Before I commit to this step, I thought I would get some opinions first. I can do so, but I would like to get some idea of why this happened so I don’t repeat the mistake going forward.
Skipper599
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Re: Interlux Perfection Failure?

Post by Skipper599 »

Sorry to hear of your problem. I'm no expert on paint other than to say, most problems are often the result of poor or improper prep. My first question is, did you follow the paint manufacturer's instructions to the letter?
Are you sure the primer paint is compatible with the finish coat?
Also, what about the solvent product used to wipe down the primer with? Could there be any problem with that and was it dry when you applied the finish coat?
I believe there are others on this forum far more experienced than me when it comes to Paint problems, maybe they may have better ideas as to what went wrong with yours.

If not, I think the next thing I would do is contact the Field Service Rep for the paint product. If he is anywhere near close to you, he may well come take a look, provide an opinion and good advice.
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
jhenson

Post by jhenson »

The paint was mixed using a whole quart plus activator so I think the mixture was correct.

The primer was the manufacturers recommended: Interlux Epoxy Primecote- 4 coats

The solvent for wipedown and thinning was the manufacturers recommended: 2333N Brushing Reducer

Joe
Shoalcove
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Shoalcove »

Is it possible that the fine grit in the sander is "melting " the paint off as the paper gums up? I wet sanded mine by hands between coats and had no problems but have had paint kindof ball up and gum up the paper when pressing hard in other projects. I used Perfection on two different boats and really was pleased. Personally, knowing how much effort goes into the prep, I think I'd, let it cure a few days more, spot fix the areas in question wiping down well with the proper solvent, and give it the second coat rather than resand the whole thing on spec. There's not much more effort in sanding two coats next year if it all fails : ( I'm not sure there is a correct answer to this but there are many more experienced folks around here than me.
7 1/2' Nutshell Pram
Spindrift 11N
Perry designed CheoyLee35
Paulus
Boat Name: Guillemot
Boat Type: Mariner Ketch

Post by Paulus »

It sure sounds to me like the paint and activator failed to react... Perhaps you had an old, expired batch (check the can) or a one-off failed batch..

Either way, I guess it all has to come off.
BALANCE

Post by BALANCE »

jhenson, my heart goes out to you. I did this job 5 years ago or so. The key then was thin, thin, thin the paint. Indirect sun was also a plus (but hard to arrange, I know). We were constantly thinning the paint as we made our way down the hull. I no longer own the boat and just yesterday I was able to walk around her at the boat yard and the topsides look like hell - but it's years later. Could be partly about the application (which looked great at the time) or just how she was taken care of since...?

I would definitely call the tech help desk. Ask for Jay, tell him 'the cry baby sent you'.

Nanette
S/V BALANCE
Westsail32
bigd14
Boat Type: Ericson 27

Post by bigd14 »

Oh no, I feel your pain! I had a similar situation with a different brand of paint and had to sand it all off and start over. Not fun at all. Hang in there.

Doug
Doug
1972 Ericson 27
The Froon
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: TBD
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Post by The Froon »

How about the Primekote? Was it sanded prior the application of the Prrfection? I used Primekote in anticipation of using Perfection, but decided to use Brightsides. I had some adhesion issues over a couple areas of applied Interprotect 2000. I vigorously resented the Interprotect and reapplied the Brightsides - success. I also had some prior issues with finish paint adhesion on my boom project, and originally suspected moisture in the FL air to be the culprit...but turned out to be 'operator error'. Good luck! Pics?
The Froon
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: TBD
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Post by The Froon »

I meant to say vigorously re-sanded....haha.