Brightwork temporary fix?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Surveyor
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Type: Alberg 30 #329

Brightwork temporary fix?

Post by Surveyor »

I would like some advice on coating or protecting the exterior wood on my boat while it sits waiting for me to have it transported. I will be at the boat for a week soon and will not have time to do a full blown sanding and multiple coat regimen. I would however like to clean up the wood and protect it from further deterioration.

My plan is to ultimately use Sikkens Cetol Marine when I have time to do it right.

Any thoughts on what I can apply that would hold it over for 60 days or so and not cause me grief when its time to do the job right?

example of what it looks like now:
Chris Campbell
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Re: Brightwork temporary fix?

Post by Chris Campbell »

I don't think the teak needs protection for the trip, personally. It's not going to deteriorate any further in the next 60 days than it has - and it doesn't look very deteriorated to me anyway. Anything you do to try to preserve it will either add work at the other end, or move the work from the other end to this end, your choice.

When you do finally get at it, whether that's now or later, you'll need to remove the grey, which is easiest with oxalic acid (search these forums for suggestions on how to find that) - you smear it on and wash it off, and presto, your teak is honey-coloured again. Then a light sanding and start coating. Cetol is much less involved to apply than real varnish - three coats over bare wood and you're done, basically. You can add their gloss coat on the top if you decide it's worth it, but that's about it. I'd personally stay away from the original Cetol or the Cetol Light, and go with "Natural Teak" - it's the only one that doesn't turn the wood orange (although some like the orange look, of course).

That's what I'd do, at any rate, I'm sure others will have ideas as well.
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

NOTHING!!!

There that was easy.

The gray is protecting it.

You sand it off and it just starts to oxidize again and you have that much less wood to work with in the future. That may not be a concern now, but it will be one day when you start sanding down to screw heads. When you do get around to it take of the absolute bare minimum you can get away with. Better yet the acid wash for color and the minimum sanding you can stand.

You coat it without proper prep and you will rue the day you did that since now all the nook and crannies are filled with poorly adhered, but new and tenacious coating.

Leave it. There are more important things to do.
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
todd gustafson
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Rosie
Boat Type: Tartan 27

Post by todd gustafson »

I agree with both of the earlier posts..... and will add

It is nice to see a boat with natural teak, sure it's greyed a bit...... better that than a old varnish job that has been neglected chipped away with time. Now what do you do...

I have done my fair share of countless hours of brightwork and teak oils. FYI, It can and will rule your life...... and does take time away from what is most important.......sailing.

In my opinion you have 3 options...... choose carefully...... and follow through and do it right.

1. Leave it, it looks great the way it is........... natural teak is beautiful too. Enjoy the boat

2. Clean teak and oil........very beautiful,..... easier to care for in my opinion....will never flake or chip .....(there are multiple cleaners, bleaches,oils for teak.... make sure nothing get's on the deck..... not paint friendly)

3. Full blown varnish, Sickkens, etc. ............ very beautiful too..... ( to do it right, all oxidized grey must be removed...and multiple coats..... 6-8 for a good base .... and 2-3 each year for evaporation )

Before making any decision I would HIGHLY recommend getting the book "The Brightwork Companion" by Rebecca Wittman, she is a master. It is a very easy book to follow for any type of teak care.

http://www.amazon.com/Brightwork-Compan ... t_ep_dpi_1

If I had to choose..........I would leave it as is, it looks in great shape "all natural"........ go sailing

I am in the process of a full 12+ coat varnish job......on coat 6........... lots of work

Good luck
Todd
Surveyor
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Type: Alberg 30 #329

Post by Surveyor »

Thanks for the replies and the advice.

Since it is unanimous I will simply not worry about it! (for the time being)