Beta Atomic drop-in mounts

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Surveyor
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Type: Alberg 30 #329

Beta Atomic drop-in mounts

Post by Surveyor »

I have read in other threads that Beta motors with the Atomic 4 mounts did not exactly fit or if they did they caused other issues. Those threads being 4 or 5 years old I am wondering if anyone has more recent experience and if so has Beta made any changes to their mounts or the pan that would alleviate the "other issues".

My guess would be that they have not made changes and that the problems are due to cramped quarters between the stringers.

Thanks in advance
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: Beta Atomic drop-in mounts

Post by Rachel »

Jim,

I don't have any Beta information for you (although I, too, have read about those problems and understand why you are asking), but I see you have an Alberg 30, so I just want to mention something in case that's the boat you are potentially re-powering.

Since you are up in the 300's on hull number, I'm not sure what your original engine beds would look like, or even if you still have them, but if they are the same as the ones in the 200's, then they may not be suitable for a diesel unless they are changed or beefed up (in which case.... you might want to consider just moving them to fit a diesel with "normal" mounting feet).

The ones I'm talking about are hollow fiberglass shapes. They are relatively smooth fiberglass on the inboard sides, top, and forward ends; and then "hollow" on the outboard sides and after ends. They are fine for an Atomic Four because it is a really smooth engine, but I have read (and having owned them, I don't disbelieve it) that they are not suitable for the more aggressive movement of a diesel engine. (In the later boats made with a liner the engine bed design was changed, and is said to be more substantial).

Here are some photos of the bed style I'm referring to. None of them were taken to specifically show them in detail, but I think between the three you can get a reasonable picture of them:
mount 1.jpg
mount2.jpg
mount3.jpg
Last edited by Rachel on Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surveyor

Post by Surveyor »

Interesting, thanks Rachel.

When I inspected the boat I did not pay much attention to the beds or their construction. The boat is pretty much all original, including the Atomic 4, so whatever is there was factory installed (I assume). If the beds are the type that you describe then it is clear as to what I need to do.

In talking with Joe at SMD, he assures me that if the beds measure properly from centerline to centerline (11-7/8") and the width of each bed is typically what would be found in an A4 installation, then the Beta16 A4 replacement will fit.

In looking at the mechanical drawings for the A4 replacement, I see that the oil sump pickup hose comes down almost inline with the mounts. To me it seems that the hose would be resting and chafing on the bed as it makes its way to the back of the pan. Then there is the question of whether or not the narrower beds can stand years of additional torque applied to them.

As you can probably see I am talking myself into installing the wider beds! Tim sells the wider bed idea pretty good but only because he encountered problems and the real world motor did not jive with the drawings. I am now wondering if it is just a good idea (14-5/8" beds) from the standpoint of eliminating excessive torque, vibration and providing room to maintain. It is a moot question of course until I see what I really have down there :)

Rachel, thanks for your help!
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

It will be interesting to see what you have on your A-30 once you get a chance to take a look.
Surveyor

Post by Surveyor »

Good call Rachel! The beds in my boat are the hollow type as you suggested they might be. I didnt get a chance to measure between them but they seem wider than what I was expecting. I will know more tomorrow. Today is baseball, Nationals vs my Marlins in DC!

Surveyor

Post by Surveyor »

16-5/8" center to center. The yard gave me a quote of $16k to $17k for a new Yanmar fully installed. Ouch!
falcon

Post by falcon »

Jim,

I mounted a 13.5 hp Beta with the Atomic 4 configuration in my Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer last weekend. I had already beefed up the original solid teak stringers with epoxy and coaxial fiberglass. On the starboard side I had to cut out a space on the inside of the stringer between the feet to provide space for the manual oil sump pump hose as you have mentioned and also had to move the fuel line off to the outside of the motor moints. On the port side I had to grind away a bit of the stringeer on the inside including a small section of the rear motor mount foot to provide space for the transmission linkage. Thats as far as I have gotten so far and have not tackled the exhaust, water, or fuel systems yet. Its not a "drop in" but it hasnt been that bad so far (fingers crossed!).
Pete
Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer "work in progress"