Winch sizing

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Brodie
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Starry Night
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 30

Winch sizing

Post by Brodie »

I am in the process of buying stuff for the new boat. On the list for this year are new primary winches as the current ones are non-self-tailing and are a bit small (Lewmar 24s, I believe). Most of the sizing charts that I have looked at call for 30s, but occasionally i find one that suggests 40s. While I don't want to spend more than I have to (already spending way more than I thought I would, as usual!) I also don't want to end up with undersized winches.

The boat is a Sea Sprite 30. Fractional rig, I=36', J=12'. For this year at least I will be sailing with a 100% jib, eventually will probably get a new headsail in the 120% range. I sail singlehanded about 90% of the time and while I tend to surprise people with how strong I am, keep in mind I'm still 120 lb....

suggestions?
tpl
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: doe
Boat Type: swan 36

Re: Winch sizing

Post by tpl »

> 100% jib

with the #3, if your timing is good, you hardly need a winch: the
sail comes aback, you cast off, you catch it to leeward--no problem.

personally, I avoid Lewmar who use diverse metals--alu, ss,
bronze==corrosion. My own better experience is with Barient/Barlow, tho
I am told Harken is $good$.

with self-tailers you need at least one size up on account of chafe.

I'd wait 'til the bigger jib shows up.
nature loves to hide (heraclitus)
Robert The Gray
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Robert The Gray »

Does the mounting situation lend its self to one size or another? I think changing the winch handle size may have more influence on how much load you can pull by your self. I am not sure if the sizes of winches are set by the pulling strength or the holding strength. There must be some more technical terms for those two numbers. And now that I think about it it would be catastrophic indeed if the winch itself sheared in half and did not just pull out of the boat. I imagine the higher size will increase your capacity but I do not know how much nor the real world meaning of that number. This must have been one of the most unenlightening posts, but I suppose someone must be the rube.

luck.
r
Former Owner: Whisper, now Alma 1960 WC Triton
Whisper Projects
Daysailfilms
mitiempo
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Mi Tiempo
Boat Type: Canadian Sailcraft CS27

Post by mitiempo »

You will regret it if you buy too small, not if you buy too large. Anderson is my choice. More durable than Lewmar or Harken.

These are 28's and 40's. The boat had the 28's as primaries and the cabintop winches were old Lewmars and not self tailing, mismatched, and one pawl was broken. I already owned the 40's having bought them for previous boat. The 28's are now on the cabintop and the 40's are the new primaries. Maybe a bit overwinched but I'm getting older.
Attachments
1.jpg