transducer

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
steveagnew
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Artemis
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

transducer

Post by steveagnew »

ahoy! I purchased a Lowrance HDS7 chartplotter/fishfinder at the Defender sale. I'm getting baffled at which transducer to get for it and the best place to install it. I removed the old (original) one which was on the centerline thru 3" of fiberglass directly below the v-berth insert. Any suggestions?
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: transducer

Post by Rachel »

Hi steve, and welcome to the forum!

I think I would choose an epoxy-to-the-inside-of-the-hull puck transducer if possible. It looks like they have one for your unit:

PDRT-WBL Part #106-89 $64.95
Shoot-thru-hull mount, 20 degree pod type with remote temperature (200 kHz). (20 ft cable)

http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Marine ... cessories/

I don't know about Lowrance, but if I remember correctly Humminbird had a program where you could trade the transducer that came with the unit for another style, just by calling them and making arrangements.

You can put the puck in a zip-loc bag of water and make some trial placements to see where it works best before you epoxy it in place. Just ahead of the ballast is a good place to try.

Then I would glass the other transducer hole closed. (Not that there is necessarily anything wrong with a properly done hole in the boat.)

Again, welcome :)

Rachel
steveagnew
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by steveagnew »

thanks for the reply Rachel, I have a Hawk-eye that I glued in after i thought i had the "spot", intermittent results;off when you really wanted to know. I chiseled it loose and searched again and built a water box w/ 4" pvc pipe low in the hanging locker; not much better. I'm hoping thru
-hull will be more reliable. But, which one and where?
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

As far as "where".... the old one was there for a reason. The wineglass shape of the hull doesn't offer many (any) convenient spots for such things. Mine is in the same spot, and that was not my first choice either due to the degree of hull modification required.

I'll second the suggestion to talk to Lowrance about the "what", but be prepared to hear that they don't have anything with the very long stem you'll need to use that location. There is a company out there that makes fantastic transducers for all sorts of funky applications... the name will come to me I'm sure, right after you buy one.
Chris Campbell
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Post by Chris Campbell »

Figment wrote:the name will come to me I'm sure, right after you buy one.
Airmar?
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Post by earlylight »

Airmar is one of the largest manufacturers of transducers. They manufacture transducers fior Sitex/Koden, Garmin, Raymarine, Furuno, Lowrance and Humminbird to name a few. Check their website and good luck.
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
Hulukupu
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Mahana

Post by Hulukupu »

I had success with a Humminbird puck style transducer mounted under the starboard setee on my Triton- no thru-hull needed.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Yes, Airmar. Duh.

Even if you don't see what you need on their website, pick up the phone. Absolutely stellar people.
steveagnew
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by steveagnew »

Thanks to all. After several phone calls, I decided to order Airmar's P319. Some surgery will be required , but I will install it in the location of the original one
The ice is off Chaumont Bay!
Fairwinds