When do you know you need to replace bronze parts.

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Idon84
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Cosmic Dancer
Boat Type: Hess Cutter

When do you know you need to replace bronze parts.

Post by Idon84 »

How do you know if bronze is still OK to use? I've heard many different opinions both for replacing and keeping. As I look at the replacement cost for all of my bronze parts I question as to wether or not I really need to replace.

Here are some pictures of what I'm getting at. The parts below are boomkin stays (sandwiches the boomkin), the lower boomkin stays, and my wisker stays. The wisker & upper boomkin stays are in the best shape compared to the other parts. These are all original parts. Thoughs?
Attachments
IMG_0014.jpg
IMG_0010.jpg
IMG_0009.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg
Bryon
Cosmic Dancer
1980, Hess Cutter.
http://www.picasaweb.com/idon84
todd gustafson
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Rosie
Boat Type: Tartan 27

Re: When do you know you need to replace bronze parts.

Post by todd gustafson »

They look in perfect condition to me (new in fact) unless there is some structural defect i can't see. Why change them? They have used bronze many decades if not centuries in all types of marine uses and are still going strong....

I'm sure new replacement pieces today would not be any better made. The patina is just to the point where it looking good.......

Besides..... if you have to change them out if the bolt pattern may differ, you would have to fill the old holes and drill new.

I'd stay with the ones pictured.

That's my 2 cents...::)

Todd
Case

Post by Case »

Look for any cracks. Inspect closely. Sand smooth or polish so to see the surface better if necessary. If you cannot find any, its all good. I doubt new bronze will be any better than old, as long there are no cracks.

Bronze is somewhat malleable compared to stainless steel. They're less likely to suddenly break with no warning. I would trust bronze over stainless steel for this reason...

- Case
todd gustafson
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Rosie
Boat Type: Tartan 27

Post by todd gustafson »

P.S. Bronze looks better on a Hess Cutter too........

Todd
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I can't really tell for sure from the photos, but are you potentially doubting them because they have turned pinkish? i.e. de-zincification? Since they look so good otherwise, I'm guessing maybe that's why you're asking (although I can't really see the exact colors very well in the photos, there may be some pink?) If they are pink... is it just on the surface or does it "penetrate" at all?

Rachel
Idon84
Boat Name: Cosmic Dancer
Boat Type: Hess Cutter

Post by Idon84 »

I just wrote a long reply but lost my internet and lost everything so I'll be brief.

1. Parts look to be in good shape other than some pitting, their is no obvious signs of cracks or deep divots.
2. The parts more in contact with seawater seem to be showing more signs of pink & pitting. The picture posted previous of me holding the two stays shows the color difference between the lower boomkin stay which was in contact with sea water and the wisker stays which were higher up on the boat and in much better shape, although still slightly pitted, pinkish and with some of the white/greenish substance see #3.
3. I sandblasted the parts with fine silica sand & then rubbed them with bronze wool to get them shiny. After 6 months the parts worst affected by pitting & pinkeshness have a white/greenish hard substance growing in the pits. (Again see picture earlier in post)
4. The pictures below are of the parts after I removed them in 2008.
IMG_0045.JPG
IMG_0046.JPG
This is a picture I just took to try to show the pinishness (dezincification) of the lower boomkin stay (lower) and the wisker stay (above).
IMG_0001.jpg
Could this be "bronze disease" and has anyone ever dealt with it? I guess this is where I am at with the whole repair or replace ideas...
http://tomross.ancients.info/Electrolys ... isease.htm

Thanks, as always!
Bryon
Cosmic Dancer
1980, Hess Cutter.
http://www.picasaweb.com/idon84